Help: Request for Quail Photos

Quail - The several genera of mid-sized birds in the pheasant family Phasianidae, or in the family Odontophoridae. Discuss about them here.
toucan
Bird Watcher
Bird Watcher

Help: Request for Quail Photos

Postby toucan » Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:06 pm

Dear all,

For those who kept Barred Buttonquail (Puyoh Tanah) and Blue-breasted Quail (Pikau), can you help me by taking photos of the birds opening its wing (you can held their wing open in hand) from topview? I am research on identification of two species from brief glance of upperparts in the field. I would need upperparts of both males and females for both species, so anyone with the species, please help me, best if you have both to place side by side to compare their size. Thanks a lot.

dance4rain
The Great Eagle

Re: Help: Request for Quail Photos

Postby dance4rain » Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:22 pm

My friend has a pair. I will take a photo of both for you when I go to his place. Hopefully its still with him.
Meanwhile, anybody who has ready access, please help out. The more photos for comparison, the better :D

dance4rain
The Great Eagle

Postby dance4rain » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:03 pm

Pics not very good but here goes....

dance4rain
The Great Eagle

Postby dance4rain » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:05 pm

Female......

toucan
Bird Watcher
Bird Watcher

Postby toucan » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:04 pm

Thanks. Seemed like the bicolor effect is not very strong in buttonquails as supposed to be, probably due to the lost of some tertials in your bird, possibly moulting? I had manage to ID a male Blue-breasted Quail in the wild, still working on better ways to ID them in brief views because they were so difficult to observe! I had manage to find both in a same area, showing that they do co-occur.

Return to “Quail”