Molting period?

Discuss about pekin robin hee.
nazmina
Talking Birds

Molting period?

Postby nazmina » Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:17 am

Hi guys!

My Pekin Robin dropped a few feather from its' wing and chest.
It's feather on its' tail also dropped leaving only 1 on it.
Does it starts its' molting period? :?

Thank you.
regards,

-November Alpha Zulu Mike India-

Irwan Fahmy
Location: Kangar, Perlis Indera Kayangan/Alor Setar, Kedah Darulaman

Re: Molting period?

Postby Irwan Fahmy » Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:34 pm

nazmina wrote:Hi guys!

My Pekin Robin dropped a few feather from its' wing and chest.
It's feather on its' tail also dropped leaving only 1 on it.
Does it starts its' molting period? :?

Thank you.

Yes, its a molting period. My pekins also suffered it last months. Now dah ok.

mann_kl
Wise Owl

Postby mann_kl » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:51 pm

my pekins will drop the wing or tail feather sometime one week one, maybe due to our weather, and it grows back within a month.

nazmina
Talking Birds

Postby nazmina » Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:22 pm

Thanx, Guys.

I never thought that 'oversea bird' (My Pekin Robin) has the same molting period as 'local bird' (My Magpie Robin) :lol:

Anyway, should I treat it same like my Magpie Robin ie. giving lots of live food and bathing?

p/s I'm newbie in birding activities :)
regards,

mann_kl
Wise Owl

Postby mann_kl » Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:19 pm

hi nazmina,
pls read this,

Diet Considerations

The food supply is a major consideration for the breeder. For non-breeding companion birds the provision of a suitable diet is not problematic, notwithstanding however that key components are usually not available at the average local pet store or pet food supplier. Softbill bird diets are manufactured by leading pet food companies as universal mixtures tailored to thrush-like birds, including Pekin Robins, exotic starlings and mynah birds. These mixtures have balanced constituents to provide all required nutrients and often minerals. Usually additional vitamins, minerals, trace elements and some essential amino acids are supplemented on a regular basis to the basic food mix at times of high demand.

It seems there are as many recipes for diets as there are keepers of Pekin Robins, which illustrates that the Pekin Robin can feed on wide range of food items. There is great value in using proven diets and composite mixtures. Mynah bird pellets contain the required nutrients in a balanced mixture, if the robins accept the product, technically only water and some treats, mainly for occupational stimulation are needed to ensure the well-being of the bird.

In fact, composite foods such as chick starter have been included for that reason in many soft-bill diets. Zoological gardens are moving more and more to complete premixed diets for most of their animal species to avoid pitfalls, where individual animals hog some food items and deprive others of them or fill themselves on single items not containing all essential nutrients, and so creating serious deficiencies to sustain themselves. By recognizing that animal body tissue is built out of protein, among other things, and that protein is composed of essential amino acids and, furthermore, that plants do not have all of these, (with the only known exception of the soybean), we can understand that animal protein is critical for growth and cell replacement. Some animals create their own missing amino acids in their stomach or cecum (cud chewing animals and horses for example) with the help of a symbiotic bacterium flora, but Pekin Robins do not. Animal protein is supplied via insects, egg food, cottage cheese.

Mealworms are the stand-by for most Pekin Robin keepers, but aviculturists caution not to feed too many. It can cause eye disorders, foot tissue (gout) problems and obesity. High consumption offers too much protein in adult birds and interferes with mineral absorption due to imbalances. Ca:P ratio should be 1.5-2:1 in a diet. mealworms have an inverted ratio of approx. 1:16. An offering of 10 per day is considered safe with combined vitamin provisions. Waxworms are a much relished food, but these too can cause mineral deficiency and obesity. Crickets have a better nutrient balance and more roughage than the former, still Ca is insufficient.

Pekin Robins love to bathe. Be mindful of water containers in which birds can drown such as deep pans, watering cans, smooth steeply-walled bowls .

nazmina
Talking Birds

Postby nazmina » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:29 pm

Thank you, Bro.

Looks like my feeding regime is good enough ie. pellet (for thrush bird), fruits (apple, orange, carrot, papaya and banana) and live food (cricket, mealworm and guppy)
All on rotation basis.

As for insufficience of Ca, I will mix the pellet with the cuttlefish bone powder (Rembat sikit tulang sotong dari Budgie saya :lol: ).
regards,

Return to “Pekin Robin”