Seeking advice on inviting wild birds to my garden

Discussion or chat about bird watching...

Moderator: toucan

CatEnthusiast427
Egg

Seeking advice on inviting wild birds to my garden

Postby CatEnthusiast427 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:12 am

Hello everyone! :newhere:

First off, as a first time visitor and first time poster on this forum, I wanna say that it's really awesome to see there's a dedicated Malaysian-based bird forum. The fact that this forum has been around for quite a while (at least 7 years looking at some timestamps) makes it even awesomer. This seems like a great community and I hope to gain valuable knowledge and insights from members of the community.

Seeing that this forum mainly comprise of topics about birds as pets and fancy breed of birds, this post may be a somewhat unusually. My questions will be related to cats, wild birds, and bird watching. If I'm posting this in the wrong thread, sorry in advance and hope that the mods could move it to the correct thread.

I'm hail from a long line of cat lovers. I own two (strictly) indoor cats whom I love so much. While reading some articles online, I found this nifty thing where cat owners would put bird feeder outside their windows to attract wild birds. The sight of birds feeding would keep their cats entertained for hours on end. I thought it is a cool idea, so I gave it a try.

Here's the bird feeder I made. It's on the side of my house, adjacent to a neighbor's house.

That is about 400g of kuaci.

Here's a wider view of the feeding ground.

There's some foliage next to it.

Here's the intended bird watching site from inside the house.

Here's the intended bird watching site from inside the house, with a cat.

It seems to me that I did everything right. However, two weeks has passed and I haven't spotted any birds feeding on it. My cats haven't showed any sign of spotting any birds from that window either (otherwise they would frequent the said window more often). My neighborhood is pretty green. There's a lot foliages and a lot of bird activities in the morning. I hear a lot of chirping around my house around 8am. Mostly, I hear the chirping coming from the second storey roof of my neighbor to the left (where the bird feeder is) or from the palm trees in my neighbor's yard to the right (opposite side of the house from where the bird feeder is). Most birds I saw in my neighborhood are ciak rumah. Is there something I did wrong? I have a few concerns on the matter:

1. I don't know if kuaci is a actually a good choice of food for a bird feeder. I read a lot of article saying that kuaci attract the widest species of birds. However, a lot of those articles I read were from America or Europe, so I'm not sure if it also applies to Malaysian bird species. Is kuaci a good choice? Is there a better bird food I should change to?

2. I'm afraid that the feeder is placed in too confined of a space. I know animals usually don't like confined spaces because it'll limit their mobility when they're in the face of danger. I'd assume this applies to birds as well. What can I do to improve this?

3. I'm afraid that the feeder is too hidden for the bird to see/find. The reason I chose to place close to the under side of the roof is to avoid getting the feeder rained on. Because of that, I tried placing it reasonably close to the edge of the roof to compensate for it, hoping it'd be somewhat visible from a bird's perspective, while still avoiding rain. Also, this is the only roofed placed in my house visible from a window. Why do you think? Is this a good location? Should I find a better location? Is rain an issue at all? Does bird avoid wet food? Can I simply hang the feeder in the open where it can be rained on?

4. Because I thought the feed is somewhat hidden, I tried making a trail of food leading up to the feed. I scattered some kuaci on the ground nearby and on the wall next to the feeder (picture below). Because I know there's a lot of bird in my neighbor's yard to the right, I scattered some kuaci in my front yard as well (where it is visible from the palm trees), trailing it back to the feeder. I scattered it almost everywhere around the house just to attract their attention. Some in the grass area. Some in the porch. Some on the front gate. I checked back a week later and they seemed untouched.

So what do you guys think? Any advice on improving my wild bird feeder? I'm looking forward to any suggestions and inputs.

:feedback:

Petbirdy
Wise Owl

Re: Seeking advice on inviting wild birds to my garden

Postby Petbirdy » Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:21 am

Hello

Wrong seeds chosen. Kuaci is meant for big parrots and not ideal food for wild birds. You should buy millet seeds (white, red, black, any colour but millet seeds). Most petshops sell millet seeds in 300 grams, 500 grams, 1 kg in packet form. Wild finches would come immediately to eat. For wild magpie robins who sing beautifully, insects and worms are its preferential food since they are insectivorous birds.

Nice compound and a beautiful landscape lawn you have there. Where is this location ?

rolex
Weaning Bird

Postby rolex » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:49 pm

hi there,

maybe hanging ripe papayas
may attract glossy starlings.
I get them in my garden when
my fig tree fruits.
just an idea.
pict of my fig and a starling

and check this website
http://www.treknature.com/gallery/Asia/ ... 233214.htm
Attachments
vlcsnap-2014-02-25-23h12m39s37.png

CatEnthusiast427
Egg

Postby CatEnthusiast427 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:31 pm

Petbirdy wrote:Hello

Wrong seeds chosen. Kuaci is meant for big parrots and not ideal food for wild birds. You should buy millet seeds (white, red, black, any colour but millet seeds). Most petshops sell millet seeds in 300 grams, 500 grams, 1 kg in packet form. Wild finches would come immediately to eat. For wild magpie robins who sing beautifully, insects and worms are its preferential food since they are insectivorous birds.

Nice compound and a beautiful landscape lawn you have there. Where is this location ?

Hi

Thanks! I live in the southern region of Selangor.

The kuaci has been out there for 5 months and still no takers. It's obviously not working. Haha. I'll try and hit the pet store tomorrow for millets. Will update in a few days. Thanks for the suggestion!

rolex wrote:hi there,

maybe hanging ripe papayas
may attract glossy starlings.
I get them in my garden when
my fig tree fruits.
just an idea.
pict of my fig and a starling

and check this website
http://www.treknature.com/gallery/Asia/ ... 233214.htm

Hi rolex.

Thanks for the suggestion! Hanging a ripe papaya sounds a little messy. I might wanna try Petbirdy's millet idea first before doing that. But I would definitely keep your idea in mind. :)

Btw, gorgeous starling you have there. :D

Best,
CatEnthusiast427

Tanin
Site Admin

Postby Tanin » Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:42 pm

Good luck CatEnthusiast,

by the way... based on the surrounding... I think the species of the bird that like the environment may include some small species like tailorbird... since you have the sunflower seed, you can try to put it in a used empty plastic water bottle (make a lots of hole in it) and hang on the bamboo tree. After a while, the sunflower seed will get 'bad' and some insect will be there to lay its egg (dont worry... it should not have any foul smell as long as the bottle have lots of hole and water can come out - can keep it dry inside). The tailorbird, maybe attracted to it and visit your place.

just my 2 cent
Best Regards,
Tanin

Now you can share any posting that you like to FBook!

For more more detail on how to share, please visit:
viewtopic.php?f=54&t=11885

Return to “Bird Watching”