Vulture (I Dont Know the Species)

For Buzzards, eagles and Vulture... (but since there are section for Eagles,,, so this can be use to discuss about Buzzards and Vulture...

Moderators: hawkeagle, Java Falconer

Tanin
Site Admin

Re: Vulture (I Dont Know the Species)

Postby Tanin » Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:59 am

I am quite positive that it is a vulture... but not very sure about the species though... :oops:

the size is comparatively big and only birds of prey or crane(or burung botak) that will be at that size... it soar not very high and I can see that it didn't have long legs which is the main charasteristic of crane or bangau in flight... :D :D
Best Regards,
Tanin

Now you can share any posting that you like to FBook!

For more more detail on how to share, please visit:
viewtopic.php?f=54&t=11885

toucan
Bird Watcher
Bird Watcher

Postby toucan » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:05 am

Tanin wrote:I am quite positive that it is a vulture... but not very sure about the species though... :oops:

the size is comparatively big and only birds of prey or crane(or burung botak) that will be at that size... it soar not very high and I can see that it didn't have long legs which is the main charasteristic of crane or bangau in flight... :D :D

Those characteristics are not strong enough, a White-bellied Sea Eagle juvenile is brownish, huge and can be a potential suspect as well. The vultures are as large or larger than sea eagles and the diagnostic feature should be the bald head which will become rather smallish in appearance.

regards
Toucan

Tanin
Site Admin

Postby Tanin » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:55 pm

toucan wrote:
Tanin wrote:I am quite positive that it is a vulture... but not very sure about the species though... :oops:

Those characteristics are not strong enough, a White-bellied Sea Eagle juvenile is brownish, huge and can be a potential suspect as well. The vultures are as large or larger than sea eagles and the diagnostic feature should be the bald head which will become rather smallish in appearance.

regards
Toucan

Thanks Tou,

Yes. From the 'smaller' head, it should be vultures... it is unfortunate that I didn't bring my camera... if not you can advice us about the species... :D
Best Regards,
Tanin

toucan
Bird Watcher
Bird Watcher

Postby toucan » Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:59 am

Hi Tanin,

You can basically be 99.99% sure that the vultures are Himalayan if you saw them in Malaysia today becoz the other 4 are critically endangered globally and is likely not easy to reach Malaysia anymore. The White-rumped and Red-headed are initially residents, but wiped off and their population in the mainland is not strong as well, so unlikely they will occur as vagrant in Malaysia anymore. The Slender-billed is initially a vagrant, they are rare now in the mainland as well, so unlikely too. The Cinerous is a vagrant to South east asia as well, provided with their capability of traveling far places, they could occur as vagrants, but now they now near threatened, and they breed in northern east asia, it will be superbly surprising if you can spot one. Himalayan might be previously overlooked, not known to come to South East Asia until 1992-1993 in Malaysia and Singapore, then Thailand, now they are somehow "regularly" spotted in Singapore every year, but still a rare bird, might have 1-2 visiting each year. Lately, it is believed to arrive in Indonesia. The peak season to watch is Dec-Jan in Singapore, northern states might have earlier visitors and leave a little latter.

regards
Toucan

Tanin
Site Admin

Postby Tanin » Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:24 am

oh... Thanks Tou.
Best Regards,
Tanin

Return to “Broad wings”