Nina > My Shikra

Section to discuss about the true hawks and all the shortwings

Moderators: hawkeagle, Java Falconer

Java Falconer
Talking Birds

Nina > My Shikra

Postby Java Falconer » Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:56 am

Hi guys, I want to share my Shikra pic. It is one species of Sparrowhawk or group of Accipiters. The latin name is Accipiter badius (Shikra Sparrowhawk).

I've been training her for almost 3 weeks and she shows great progress. Now her weight is about 164 gr. daily, prior to food intake.
She already responses well, but I still might to drop her a little gram until she will bolted directly from her perch to my glove from any distance.

Accipiters are not easily trained as they are delicate and sensitive birds. I'm lucky enough to be able to train her well as I've failed three times before.

Nina is one savage little Spar, just like other Accipiters which will sometimes eat their quarry alive.

Sorry a bit blur though.
"An innate falconer"

Tanin
Site Admin

Re: Nina > My Shikra

Postby Tanin » Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:17 am

Chinchilla Silver wrote:Hi guys, I want to share my Shikra pic. It is one species of Sparrowhawk or group of Accipiters. The latin name is Accipiter badius (Shikra Sparrowhawk).

I've been training her for almost 3 weeks and she shows great progress. Now her weight is about 164 gr. daily, prior to food intake.
She already responses well, but I still might to drop her a little gram until she will bolted directly from her perch to my glove from any distance.

Accipiters are not easily trained as they are delicate and sensitive birds. I'm lucky enough to be able to train her well as I've failed three times before.

Nina is one savage little Spar, just like other Accipiters which will sometimes eat their quarry alive.

Sorry a bit blur though.

Great to see that Bobby... ooo... it is only 164 g... I use to think that accipiter is large... :oops: :oops:
Best Regards,
Tanin

Now you can share any posting that you like to FBook!

For more more detail on how to share, please visit:
viewtopic.php?f=54&t=11885

Java Falconer
Talking Birds

Re: Nina > My Shikra

Postby Java Falconer » Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:32 am

Tanin wrote:Great to see that Bobby... ooo... it is only 164 g... I use to think that accipiter is large... :oops: :oops:

Depends on the subspecies Tanin. For Sparrowhawk, there are small ones which is only weigh under 200 gr. But, despite their small size, they are trully ultimate killer and brave. They can knock down big bird like pigeon!

Goshawk is larger, but some Gos are also small, except those Northern Goshawk which is pretty big. Maybe as big as a Peregrine. Rabbit won't have any chance to survive with this killer.

Accipiters are trully savage, but they are so graceful in their flight.

Their maneuver ability can't be beaten by any other birds of prey.

You can compare to my first Kestrel pic, you can see that the Kestrel is slightly bigger, but the weight is almost the same. It is for female-female comparison. Once I have a Spar which was smaller. Different subspecies and perhaps it is a male of its species.
Last edited by Java Falconer on Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
"An innate falconer"

Tanin
Site Admin

Postby Tanin » Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:25 am

Thanks Bobby. :D
Best Regards,
Tanin

Now you can share any posting that you like to FBook!

For more more detail on how to share, please visit:
viewtopic.php?f=54&t=11885

Hoopoe
Weaning Bird

Postby Hoopoe » Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:35 pm

Boy, aren't you lucky!

Java Falconer
Talking Birds

Postby Java Falconer » Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:03 pm

Hoopoe wrote:Boy, aren't you lucky!

Thanks m8!
"An innate falconer"