How to have an eagle pet?

Eagle is one of the largest species of bird of prey. They prey consist of small mammals and bird up to as large as wolf in some case...

Moderators: hawkeagle, Java Falconer

skypeace
Egg

How to have an eagle pet?

Postby skypeace » Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:49 am

Hi all,I am new member here.

I like eagle since long time ago. I wish to have an eagle as pet. As i know, one should have some sort of permit/license to breed eagle in Malaysia and it is dangerous since eagle is a dangerous animal.

can someone here guide me to breed a eagle in Malaysia? how to get permit, how to raise it and the precaution so on. I am totally newbie on this.

thank you so much.

Tanin
Site Admin

Re: How to have an eagle pet?

Postby Tanin » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:05 pm

Welcome to the forum skypeace,

your understanding is correct, keeping eagle in malaysia will need a special permit.

For raising or training, there are few posting in this forum that you can learn about it... however, in my personal opinion, maybe for the beginning, normally we shouldnt stress on the breeding of the bird that we like to keep.. :)

In term of the risk, I think it will be much depending on how each person handle the bird... even large eagle, if handle properly, it is somehow safe (but the risk is still there)... if you observe the posting by a member name 'Hawkeagle', you will see that he handle lots of large/very eagle and it is okay for him..
Best Regards,
Tanin

Now you can share any posting that you like to FBook!

For more more detail on how to share, please visit:
viewtopic.php?f=54&t=11885

skypeace
Egg

Postby skypeace » Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:02 am

Thank you Tanin for your reply.
May I know more about how to obtain the permit and the requirement? Do I need to have any professional training before I can start to raise 1?
I would like to start with kind of eagle which is smaller size or easier to handle one.

Or can you direct me to regarding page which i could get these info?
Thank you.

Tanin
Site Admin

Postby Tanin » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:06 pm

You are welcome skypeace,

for the special permit, basically you will need to give 'strong reason' for the PERHILITAN that you need to approve it.

I am not sure about what is the procedure after the new Act. But if we assume that the procedure is not change, here is what normally will be the process:
1) You prepare a documentation/ fill up application form and send to PERHILITAN
2) If they feel that you have potential to get approve, they will call you for appointment. You will do presentation on the process and the officer will ask question to you. It is like an interview.
3) then they will send you the official result by mail.

For the size of bird, as a normal rule of thumb, large and small bird of prey is not suitable for the beginner. There are many book about falconry that you can buy online. I only have few, but I think all of them is good and informative in their own way... so you can try to buy some and see if keeping bird of prey is really what you want or not... :)
Best Regards,
Tanin

skypeace
Egg

Postby skypeace » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:39 am

thank you Tinan once again.

wow, it sounds like applying for a job that serious... every1 of here who has their permit gone through this procedure?
how about owl? need permit to raise also?

Tanin
Site Admin

Postby Tanin » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:40 am

skypeace wrote:thank you Tinan once again.

wow, it sounds like applying for a job that serious... every1 of here who has their permit gone through this procedure?
how about owl? need permit to raise also?

Actually I feel more than a job interview... :lol: :lol: :lol: When I apply for a job, only 2 interviewer interview me... to apply for the permit... last time, the Ketua Pengarah and 4 or 5 other sitting there on the board to 'interview' me :lol: :lol: :lol:

All species that under TP, I believed will need to get the same procedure...
Best Regards,
Tanin

Return to “Eagle”