Meet My Eagle Pet... "Little Einstein"

Eagle is one of the largest species of bird of prey. They prey consist of small mammals and bird up to as large as wolf in some case...

Moderators: hawkeagle, Java Falconer

kelwts
Wise Owl

Re: Meet My Eagle Pet... "Little Einstein"

Postby kelwts » Thu May 12, 2011 2:55 am

Since LE is so tame ... you should now teach him the basic tricks like JTTF ( Jump to the Fist ) and later FTTF ( Fly to the Fist ). These are the most basic training in falconry . Manning the bird very often will also build the trust between you and LE .

Like Whassan said earlier ... Ingat Palagi especially when LE is next to Crystal or any other pets you have... Wouldn't want LE to accidentally peck or grab Crystal with its talons .

For the anklets and the jesses ... I think i would be much easier to do it yourself or ask a leather shop to do it fro you .
If you want I can send one set to you . ( Just PM me yr add ).
Falconry is not a slave/master relationship. It is one of cooperation and trust; for the hawks are free to leave whenever they wish, but the vast majority of hawks choose to return to their falconer.
--- ( Kitty Tolson Carroll ) ---

kelwts
Wise Owl

Postby kelwts » Thu May 12, 2011 4:23 am

Some Pics that might help . Pics from our indonesian falconer friends.
Attachments
swivel_leash.jpg
anklet to jesse to swivel to leash
swivel_leash.jpg (56.54 KiB) Viewed 618 times
anklets_done.jpg
how the anklet should fit
anklets_done.jpg (39.26 KiB) Viewed 618 times
anklets_treated.jpg
close up of an anklet
anklets_treated.jpg (7.73 KiB) Viewed 618 times
Falconry is not a slave/master relationship. It is one of cooperation and trust; for the hawks are free to leave whenever they wish, but the vast majority of hawks choose to return to their falconer.

kelwts
Wise Owl

Postby kelwts » Thu May 12, 2011 4:28 am

Some more pics of the whole "Setup "
Attachments
glove leash jesse.jpg
This pic shows you the connections from the anklet to the jesse to the swivel and finally the leash .
glove leash jesse.jpg (101.19 KiB) Viewed 618 times
100_771800699.jpg
Falconry glove looks like
100_771800699.jpg (12.37 KiB) Viewed 618 times
bell_leg.jpg
Bells . This should be attached differently using a bewit ( looks like an anklet ) or you could use Cable Ties . Remember not to put it too tight .
bell_leg.jpg (42.45 KiB) Viewed 618 times

november21972
Weaning Bird

Postby november21972 » Thu May 12, 2011 2:23 pm

whassan1 wrote:hhmm... Grace,

try to feed it live food, as much as you can. Mice, quail, day old chick. Try to avoid suplements like vitamins, shots, rehydrating.. stuffs. I assure you live food is the main thing to keep your bird healthy :wink:

Also always be carefull when your eagle is around other birds, tame as it may be... an eagle is an eagle.. it can also take baby cats/kittens/ guinea pigs etc. Be carefull ya.

Toys... u can give tennis ball or squirrel or bird dolls etc. make sure its made of tough material.

Have you wrapped the perch?

You might need to get a glove and train it to eat on your gloved hand. This will come in handy if one day she 'escapes' :wink:

Thanks Kelvin! :)

You're right I should be careful when my eagle is around other birds and small pets for that matter. I noticed how interested he seems to be with my pet Sugar Gliders. lol. His head always turn to their cage. Also he makes this sort of begging sound when he sees me holding a cockatiel, african lovebird, etc.. That's the sound he makes before feeding time. lol. So he really seems interested in them.

I bought a rope to wrap the perch but he seems scared of the rope. I do not know if it is the color or something. I wrapped it but he doesn't want to remain perched on it. So I need an alternative to using ropes.

november21972
Weaning Bird

Postby november21972 » Thu May 12, 2011 3:23 pm

kelwts wrote:Since LE is so tame ... you should now teach him the basic tricks like JTTF ( Jump to the Fist ) and later FTTF ( Fly to the Fist ). These are the most basic training in falconry . Manning the bird very often will also build the trust between you and LE .

Like Whassan said earlier ... Ingat Palagi especially when LE is next to Crystal or any other pets you have... Wouldn't want LE to accidentally peck or grab Crystal with its talons .

For the anklets and the jesses ... I think i would be much easier to do it yourself or ask a leather shop to do it fro you .
If you want I can send one set to you . ( Just PM me yr add ).

Hi Kelwts!

I taught him a few commands but those are the ones I teach my other birds, step up step down etc. When I say step up he lifts one foot followed by the other to either a wooden stick or my arm depending on what I place infront of him. I saw a thread here about training BOPs/Eagles I will read on. But I need to buy thick gloves before proceeding with commands given on eagles. Since they are to jump on my fist and fly on me. Also I want to ask even I have an eagle as a pet and do not do falconry do I need a hood ex. when I travel him to keep him calm, etc.? As for the anklets thanks. I'm not gonna refuse your offer but I wanted to search first if I can find one here this weekend.:)

kelwts
Wise Owl

Postby kelwts » Fri May 13, 2011 1:59 am

I taught him a few commands but those are the ones I teach my other birds, step up step down etc. When I say step up he lifts one foot followed by the other to either a wooden stick or my arm depending on what I place infront of him. I saw a thread here about training BOPs/Eagles I will read on. But I need to buy thick gloves before proceeding with commands given on eagles. Since they are to jump on my fist and fly on me. Also I want to ask even I have an eagle as a pet and do not do falconry do I need a hood ex. when I travel him to keep him calm, etc.? As for the anklets thanks. I'm not gonna refuse your offer but I wanted to search first if I can find one here this weekend.:)
[/quote]

Hi Grace ... I think you got yr persons mixed up :rollinglough: :rollinglough:

If you don'' intend to buy a falconry glove ... you can get those very thick long welding gloves in most hardware shops . Try to find more subtle colours like brown and dark green .

What colour is the rope that you used to wrap your perch . . White should be ok .
The hood is to basically keep the eagle calm especially when you are transporting it but is not a must . ( This is my opinion ... as others might have other opinions ) . Also depends very much on the bonding and trust that LE has with you . ....... the good thing about hoods is ... A hooded Eagle that can't see will not be able to fly or escape when you're carrying it outside.

Once you have gotten yr gloves ... you can then try to train LE to JTTF .

Send us a pic of your wrapped perch ... Too see what' the problem might be :pic :pic

Return to “Eagle”