Meet My Eagle Pet... "Little Einstein"

Eagle is one of the largest species of bird of prey. They prey consist of small mammals and bird up to as large as wolf in some case...

Moderators: hawkeagle, Java Falconer

november21972
Weaning Bird

Re: Meet My Eagle Pet... "Little Einstein"

Postby november21972 » Wed May 11, 2011 3:11 pm

Tanin wrote:
november21972 wrote:
Tanin wrote:I think the naked steel will be too harsh for her feet.. maybe you can use some 'pad'... like kelwt saids, you can use rope or few more materials

Ah ok I will wrap it tomorrow. Thanks Tanin. I certainly learn a lot here. :) What makes it so difficult for me is it's hard to find accessories and good advice here in the PI in keeping birds of prey. We're left on our own to do research and have things custom made. What's very popular among Filipinos is keeping fighting cocks and parrots as pets. So most things we can buy are made for those birds. Falconry sport seems so foreign among most Filipinos. lol. I'm trying to learn all I can now.

I have a few more questions?

1. Do you give vitamins/minerals and rehydration for birds to Eagles?
2. Are there booster shots needed?
3. What about wash out for birds?

I have been adviced to mix rehydration powder to my eagle's water. I do it once in a while. Not everyday though.

Btw, attached is my bow perch... I prepared all the gadgets already because I intent to import some BOP... even obtain the CITES import, but too bad... I still keep waiting for the exporter until now :oops: :oops:

as you can see I use 'rope' to wrap it... normally it is long lasting and quite comfortable for the BOP feet compared to naked steels.

Regarding your quirries,
1. Do you give vitamins/minerals and rehydration for birds to Eagles?
In my personal opinion, as long as you give sufficient (and variety of foods) to your birds, they don't really need suppliments. Having said that, sufficient here didn't mean the portion given, but more on the type of food given...different species actually required different amount of each type of foods. Futhermore, it may be harmful to your bird if it is given too many suppliments.

2. Are there booster shots needed?
I agree with Yap (dance4rain)... and since she is your pets and seem very close to your little girl... :D ... if it is avaiable in your country... why not..

3. What about wash out for birds?
err... you mean 'watch out' or to 'bath' the bird :mrgreen: ... if watch out, I think mostly same with all pets birds that we let fly free in our house... like windows, fans, teflon (if you use some of this product in your kitchen)... and beware of dust... somehow, even they are strong, BOP are somehow more prone to Aspergillosis (some kind of fungus) compared to other species of birds. I think it is also good if you need to always keep in your mind that eagle can be dangerous especially to small kids or other smaller pets... at the moment Little Einstein may be nice... but no harm if always be careful... :D

And if your quirries is about 'bathing' the her... I think best is just to prepared some water in a 'container' like the photo attached... normally they will take a bath on their own...

Thanks Tanin for all the great advice. I have a question about bow perches. Is curved the best shape for perches compared the straight ones?

november21972
Weaning Bird

Postby november21972 » Wed May 11, 2011 3:17 pm

kelwts wrote:Just being a busy body :rollinglough: . you can use those trays where you put flower pots on . Get hold of the the biggest size you can get . Some come in plastic and there are even clay ones too .... !!

By the way ... What are you feeding "LE" with ?? you can add Cod Liver Oil to the meat for the minerals and Vits .. if you want . :D

Thanks Kelwts! I give him raw meat, pork, chicken, meat. Occassionally (not everyday though) he is fed with white mice. What else should I feed him? I want to expose him to more varieties.

november21972
Weaning Bird

Postby november21972 » Wed May 11, 2011 3:19 pm

matburung wrote:Anyway, just a little promotion....
.... our Malaysian Falconers not too bad also :oops: http://www.falconrymalaysia.blogspot.com

Hi Matburung!

Thanks I will check it out. :)

november21972
Weaning Bird

Postby november21972 » Wed May 11, 2011 3:29 pm

More questions...

1. Does the color of the eyes of an eagle change from gray to orange/yellow when they mature?
2. How can you somehow determine if an eagle is still young even if it is already full feathered. What are the signs?
3. Are Eagles playful when young? For some reason Little Einstein always goes to where Crystal is and takes an interest in her toys. I'm watchful tough he might swallow something. Bec if eagles are playful I plan to buy him toys made for big birds ex macaws, etc.. I know a place here that sells them. :)

whassan1
The Great Eagle

Postby whassan1 » Thu May 12, 2011 1:14 am

hhmm... Grace,

try to feed it live food, as much as you can. Mice, quail, day old chick. Try to avoid suplements like vitamins, shots, rehydrating.. stuffs. I assure you live food is the main thing to keep your bird healthy :wink:

Also always be carefull when your eagle is around other birds, tame as it may be... an eagle is an eagle.. it can also take baby cats/kittens/ guinea pigs etc. Be carefull ya.

Toys... u can give tennis ball or squirrel or bird dolls etc. make sure its made of tough material.

Have you wrapped the perch?

You might need to get a glove and train it to eat on your gloved hand. This will come in handy if one day she 'escapes' :wink:
May you feel the wind under your wings

kelwts
Wise Owl

Postby kelwts » Thu May 12, 2011 2:46 am

Thanks Kelwts! I give him raw meat, pork, chicken, meat. Occassionally (not everyday though) he is fed with white mice. What else should I feed him? I want to expose him to more varieties.
[/quote]

Never feed it PORK .... Pork is definetely a NO NO for BOPs especially when it is RAW !!!!
Beef is also good .
Try to give it as much Calcium as you can . Mice or Chicken head is a good source of Calcium .
Falconry is not a slave/master relationship. It is one of cooperation and trust; for the hawks are free to leave whenever they wish, but the vast majority of hawks choose to return to their falconer.
--- ( Kitty Tolson Carroll ) ---

Return to “Eagle”