[want to buy] a nice couple or single bird.

The African grey parrot is a medium-sized, predominantly grey, black-billed parrot. Their average weight is 400 grams (0.88 lb), with an average length of 33 centimetres (13 in) and an average wingspan of 46–52 cm. The Congo subspecies is a lighter grey, with darker grey over the head and both wings, while the head and body feathers have a slight white edge to them. The tail feathers are red. The Timneh subspecies is a darker gray and has a dark maroon colored tail as well as having a portion of their beak being light pink in color.
Marshall
Hatchling

Re: [want to buy] a nice couple or single bird.

Postby Marshall » Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:29 am

shanlung wrote:12 years is a long long time ago.
No bird flu then and hardly any paper work needed.
Greys are a lot less expensive in Egypt from what I know from my Arabic friends. There was a Egyptian family who was my next door neighbour when I lived in Muscat, Sultanate of Oman a year ago.

So why are you on such a bird buying mission here?

yeah they cost a lot here.

well i had one when i was like 14 & as soon as he started to talk he did fly away when i wasn't at home :(
so its a mission really to get another whenever i can afford it. i love parrots soooooooo much & wish i could get a Blue & Gold macaw but they cost hell a lot lol

anyway african greys are very smart & i'd love to buy one or a couple when i am in my asian trip :D

shanlung
Wise Owl

Postby shanlung » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:41 am

Marshall wrote:
shanlung wrote:12 years is a long long time ago.
No bird flu then and hardly any paper work needed.
Greys are a lot less expensive in Egypt from what I know from my Arabic friends. There was a Egyptian family who was my next door neighbour when I lived in Muscat, Sultanate of Oman a year ago.

So why are you on such a bird buying mission here?

yeah they cost a lot here.

well i had one when i was like 14 & as soon as he started to talk he did fly away when i wasn't at home :(
so its a mission really to get another whenever i can afford it. i love parrots soooooooo much & wish i could get a Blue & Gold macaw but they cost hell a lot lol

anyway african greys are very smart & i'd love to buy one or a couple when i am in my asian trip :D

Best of luck to you, and do check the paper work that is required first before you buy. That might be much more horrendous than you think.

I know greys are super intelligent having had 2 of them. Perhaps an extract from what I wrote elsewhere might be of interest to you as to the scale of their intelligence.
And perhaps Understanding the mind of your grey might be of help to you when you got your birdie.
From

What prompted me to write mentality of grey // Imprinting of birds// A fairy in my life
http://shanlung.livejournal.com/130187.html

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

When I wrote
Rant 03 (a flighted parrot mentality) & Understanding the mind of your grey
http://shanlung.livejournal.com/2187.html

there had been many experiences and discussions I have had before. Some of them were internalised in me and faded into the bedrock where I stood on.

But the other day at a forum, I wrote of some of those earlier discussions with other people I have had. And realised why I came onto the road I walk on now.

I extract that below, and added a slight bit more at the end here to put the extract into the context it was written in.
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Let us get back to Gizmo.
I thought I write here something I plagiarised from what I wrote in another forum just a short while ago. And which obviously apply to you too.

CAGs are just so painfully intelligent that their personalities will never be the same.
What I did with Tinkerbell will not be what I did with Riamfada and vice versa.

I do not mold them into what I want. I mold myself to what they are, and teaching them what is acceptable and not acceptable.

When I was wrong, I accepted their chastisements on me in the same way they accepted my chastisements.
Training is a two way road.

All those I knew, be they dog or cat or horse family, told me without exception that the CAG was head and shoulders above them all.

I met trainers of dolphins, of great apes, of killer whales, and who happened to have CAGs. It is humbling to hear from them that they felt CAGs showed far greater intelligence than the other sentients that they trained with.

Give them love, respect, courtesy and dignity due to intelligent sentients equal to yourself.

You get that all back, together with the magic that only they can add.

You understand better why your best chance to succeed is to be friends with them and never as the alpha notwithstanding what the bulk of others might want you to think.

With CAGs of that level of intelligence that surpassed the major recognised intelligent sentients such as great apes, dolphins and killer whales, how ludicrous it is to think one is above them and we are to impose our wills on them.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Warmest regards

Shanlung
山 龍

http://www.geocities.com/shanlung9

Marshall
Hatchling

Postby Marshall » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:37 am

u know if it was up to me i would have a pair from each kind lol

i love them soooooooooooooooooooooo much. maybe when i am richer i will do that :P
even a small zoo at a big garden is a nice idea hehe

i am sure i will be reading moreeeeeee & moreeeee about parrots when i just get the chance to buy one again :D
so if u know any farms in Malaysia or Thailand please let me know. or if u wanna sell ur own couple's babies ;)

Return to “African Grey”