A possible solution to your plucking problems - Switch to Ti

The African grey parrot is a medium-sized, predominantly grey, black-billed parrot. Their average weight is 400 grams (0.88 lb), with an average length of 33 centimetres (13 in) and an average wingspan of 46–52 cm. The Congo subspecies is a lighter grey, with darker grey over the head and both wings, while the head and body feathers have a slight white edge to them. The tail feathers are red. The Timneh subspecies is a darker gray and has a dark maroon colored tail as well as having a portion of their beak being light pink in color.
shanlung
Wise Owl

Re: A possible solution to your plucking problems - Switch t

Postby shanlung » Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:06 pm

HCL wrote:Your video on Riam playing hide and seek is amazing.

My fumbling in not preparing Riamfada turned out so much better.
To see Riamfada thinking while flying was actually more reassuring than that simple hide & seek of myself. She kept her cool, circled around and returned to my wife that first time. And that second time, she kept her cool, went to the wall, and waited until I came out to fly down to me.

In this report, you see how she went through that doorway to me, from either directions, and more.

Pakistan//Tinkerbell Kitty Mash//Dommie at the beach Ramadhan 2010 //Villa walkabout 2

http://shanlung.livejournal.com/119237.html

Warmest regards

Shanlung

山 龍

http://www.geocities.com/shanlung9
Warmest regards

Shanlung
山 龍

HCL
Wise Owl

Postby HCL » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:39 pm

Riam's flights are as beautiful as ever.

I brought Cocoa to a new place to hike yesterday. It took us less than 2 hours to walk thru the trail in jungle about the same time at our regular hiking place.
Usually she was very active when we came home. But yesterday she was very tired. She didn't finish her breakfast and slept for 1/2 a day. Funny thing is she rode on my shoulder and I was the one who did the walking. In the end she was more tired than me. :lol:

shanlung
Wise Owl

Postby shanlung » Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:42 am

HCL wrote:Riam's flights are as beautiful as ever.

I brought Cocoa to a new place to hike yesterday. It took us less than 2 hours to walk thru the trail in jungle about the same time at our regular hiking place.
Usually she was very active when we came home. But yesterday she was very tired. She didn't finish her breakfast and slept for 1/2 a day. Funny thing is she rode on my shoulder and I was the one who did the walking. In the end she was more tired than me. :lol:

Take care of Cocoa. Hope she is better since you last wrote.

Our earlier chats that Cocoa was off form, and your last post got me a bit concerned.

Not finishing food is normal. You could see by my extensive recordings of how much mash Riam ate each day that some days she ate more, some days she ate less.
But if she is still 'off', you might need to see an avian vet.

I hope my concern is totally unfounded.
Warmest regards

Shanlung
山 龍

HCL
Wise Owl

Postby HCL » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:57 am

I think she was probably stressed out in the "new jungle." You know that Greys are very sensitive to change of surrounding. In the last 2 days we went back to our old jungle. She did fine and did not exhibit any of the tiredness she had after returning from the new jungle.

shanlung
Wise Owl

Postby shanlung » Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:36 pm

HCL wrote: You know that Greys are very sensitive to change of surrounding.

:-)

That I will not agree to

:-)

At least with Tinkerbell and Riamfada.

I had brought them to different places all the time, and meet with so many people as well.

They seemed to enjoy those new places as much as I did. My reports and photos attested to that.

I always find it strange when other people tell me how their greys were spooked even by a new shirt that they wore, or with any changes in furniture.

Perhaps my greys are as strange as myself.
Warmest regards

Shanlung
山 龍

HCL
Wise Owl

Postby HCL » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:16 pm

I agree that your Greys are much more exposed than mine. Cocoa usually kept quiet when I took her to new places. She is very vocal on her regular outings. And also she reluctant to fly at places she was not familiar with. I think it could be age factor. Cocoa is just over 2 years old. Your 2 Greys are more experienced and more mature than mine. :)

I remember on the 1st 2 hikes, my grey was nervous. She got spooked when the going gets tough. She took off but returned to my shoulder. After a couple more hikes she got used to the new surrounding and began to vocalize. Last Sunday we got caught in the rain while descending from a hill. My Grey hates water and she would scream when I mist her or put her under the shower. On that rainy day she stayed calm on my shoulder as I hiked down as fast as I could. The journey was quite rough for her and all she did was complaining about the rain. She said "aiyo" repeatedly until we reached my car. I was surprised that she did not attempt to fly away as she did during shower time.

On 2 occasions (during hiking) I met 2 dumb persons telling me to set my Grey free. One of them said Cocoa belongs to the jungle. They thought my captive bred Grey could easily survive in the jungle.
Last edited by HCL on Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “African Grey”