Cocoa's longest distance outdoor flight

The African grey parrot is a medium-sized, predominantly grey, black-billed parrot. Their average weight is 400 grams (0.88 lb), with an average length of 33 centimetres (13 in) and an average wingspan of 46–52 cm. The Congo subspecies is a lighter grey, with darker grey over the head and both wings, while the head and body feathers have a slight white edge to them. The tail feathers are red. The Timneh subspecies is a darker gray and has a dark maroon colored tail as well as having a portion of their beak being light pink in color.
HCL
Wise Owl

Re: Cocoa's longest distance outdoor flight

Postby HCL » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:50 am

I met a hiker while waiting for my wife to descend from a hill. He said he had a grey before. He paid RM300 for it back in the 90's. He was in a state of shock when he asked about the current price. :lol:

Cocoa gets spooked by the noise at houses that are under going renovation. She is afraid of the noises from the drilling, hammering and etc. Funny thing is when we do the drilling and hammering in the house, she is not afraid. She will fly to my shoulder and watch me working. Like yesterday she sat on my wife shoulder watching her smashing up the coconut. The noises are similar to the one she hears at the houses under renovation. :?: :?: :?:

Any explanation for that?

Irwan Fahmy
Location: Kangar, Perlis Indera Kayangan/Alor Setar, Kedah Darulaman

Postby Irwan Fahmy » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:05 am

What I can say is.. Grey is afraid of the drilling machinery sounds that is not from the house.. They seems to be spooked by the other sounds made by the other party.. My Grey plucked all his chest feather during my house renovation.. Those darn workers seems to be happy seeing my Toto trembling and screaming..Huh! Simple thing as a result.. "You are fired".. Lots of workers eligible for that thing.. :lol:

HCL
Wise Owl

Postby HCL » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:24 am

Current the neighbour opposite (behind my house) is renovating their house for Raya. Cocoa has no problem with the noise inside my house. When I took her to the back of the house to watch my budgies (we can see thru the metal grille door) Cocoa got panicked when she saw the renovating house and quickly flew back into the house.
I think she is more afraid of what she sees and hears at the same time than just by hearing only.

HCL
Wise Owl

Postby HCL » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:58 am

Today Sept 2nd is exactly 2 years since we have had Cocoa. She did a few rounds of flight this morning. I told her flying was good for her cardiovascular health and she agreed by making a chirping sound.

HCL
Wise Owl

Postby HCL » Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:53 am

Hiking in the dark.

Because of my busy schedule later in the morning today, we decided to hike earlier. We reached there at 6:30am and it was very dark. We had to use flash light.
As I was climbing a steep slope, I think Cocoa hit a rope which was attached there to help us to hike the slope. That might have caused Cocoa to take off in the dark. She was flying about, couldn't see a place to land. I quickly pointed my flash light upwards so that Cocoa could see me. She quickly flew back to me. Before she landed on my shoulder she paused for a few secs in mid air (like a humming bird) looking for a right spot to land. Under the darkness, Cocoa was still calm and composed, able to control her flight and came back to me. I was amazed by her flying skill and her calmness, and this incidence had made her a more experienced and skillful hiker.

After hiking up the slope, I waited for my wife to catch up and then I related the incidence to her. Cocoa said "tock tock" in agreement.

HCL
Wise Owl

Postby HCL » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:14 am

We planned to go hiking yesterday morning. But it was raining for hours till about 8am. We did not manage to go. To make that up, Cocoa went to the gym this morning to get her muscles toned up.

Return to “African Grey”