Africa grey died suddenly

The African grey parrot is a medium-sized, predominantly grey, black-billed parrot. Their average weight is 400 grams (0.88 lb), with an average length of 33 centimetres (13 in) and an average wingspan of 46–52 cm. The Congo subspecies is a lighter grey, with darker grey over the head and both wings, while the head and body feathers have a slight white edge to them. The tail feathers are red. The Timneh subspecies is a darker gray and has a dark maroon colored tail as well as having a portion of their beak being light pink in color.
samuelfoo
Wise Owl

Re: Africa grey died suddenly

Postby samuelfoo » Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:28 am

dear friend
so sorry to hear that......
:(

ally
Weaning Bird

Postby ally » Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:21 pm

Irwan Fahmy wrote:Ally..

Im so sorry to hear about your lost.. Really a unexplained situation here but I would try at my best on giving you my theory.. Im not a vet, more into a helping hands here.. :|

I suspect that the bird must be infected with aspergilossis.. The simptoms are sneezing, lost of weight and appetite and also breathing difficulty.. The main factor mostly peanuts, coz if the nuts inside the shell become mouldy, it will produce aflatoxin which may fatal not only to bird but also to human being..

Could you clarify the bird's condition before he went to rainbow bridge, if possible the last 48 hrs so that I can do some sort of research with my fellow friends.. :|
Be strong my friend.. Its a matter of risk(s) of bird keeping.. Dont look back ok.. :wink:

Dear Irwan,

Many thanks for your reply. it looks like the bird is infected with aspergilosis. I did not notice weight lost or appetite. It was happily eating whatever from my hand and mostly peanuts. I think i have kill him because of my naifness. What a stupid guy i was. I did not realiaze this because i was so happy that the bird was eating from my hand and not scared of my hand anymore, Since i made peanuts as his treat apart from fruits and vegie as the main course. I was feeding him with peanuts alot without realizing it. I just lost the guy already and lesson was learned. I notice the bird was sneezing and also i notice that when the bird is happy he will give all kind of sound while looking at the road outside but when he stop he will run out of breath. I have seen this .. maybe this is also part of the simptoms. I lost it already.

HCL
Wise Owl

Postby HCL » Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:52 am

Peanuts are also an allergy to human as well as to parrots. Some good brands of parrot's pellets exclude peanuts in them.
Don't blame yourself. Most of us also didn't know about this. It is an expensive lesson to learn. It will make us more careful next time.
Don't be so hard to yourself. :)

samuelfoo
Wise Owl

Postby samuelfoo » Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:02 am

dear HCL....
that mean to say we should not feed our parrot peanut?
??
thanks

HCL
Wise Owl

Postby HCL » Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:30 am

I didn't say that. I still feed my CAG peanut but only occasionally. Because there were cases that involved death upon ingestion of peanuts by some hypersensitive parrots, some manufacturers didn't include peanuts in their pellets for safety reason.

craftsmaster
Hatchling

Postby craftsmaster » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:38 am

You did a huge mistake. Never feed a parrot with peanut. It produces toxic that can cause cancer in animals. Please do a careful study about your pets nutrition before doing anything.
Carmel Santos
Parrot Breeders & Author of The Ultimate Guide to Parrots
The Australian Guide to Parrots

Return to “African Grey”