breeding of the Pok-say the Black Throat Laughing thrush

Hwa Mei is one of the species that is kept in South East Asia region for their song. This section is dedicated for them.
LKY
Egg

Re: breeding of the Pok-say the Black Throat Laughing thrush

Postby LKY » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:12 pm

Hi, just join those forum. I like to know how to know poksay is female? By looking at the colour and sound ? Pls help me.

Tanin
Site Admin

Postby Tanin » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:57 pm

Hi LKY.

welcome to the forum... I think it is very hard to be able to confirm the sex of them if not go through the proper DNA test... sometimes by just looking phisically, it might not be very accurate unless you have many to choose from etc...

Are you try to breed them as well?
Best Regards,
Tanin

Now you can share any posting that you like to FBook!

For more more detail on how to share, please visit:
viewtopic.php?f=54&t=11885

JasonBirds
Weaning Bird

Postby JasonBirds » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:28 pm

I have 2 black throat laughing thrush from the pet shop. I have then 6 months already.. Singing well. Now I try to breed them... have then together... have a male and female. They bonded straight away no fighting.

I have one problem. They are very timid and frightened of me. If I go to feed them or change the water they will fly madly in the cage and sometimes injure themselves on face and get blood on their face.

I feel sad for them. How can I help them get not scared of me? Maybe they are wild bird? Can they still get tame? I feel sorry for them and think if they still unhappy in the cage I will let them loose... but I am afraid they will not survive in the wild.

Thank you.

Tanin
Site Admin

Postby Tanin » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:58 am

JasonBirds wrote:I have 2 black throat laughing thrush from the pet shop. I have then 6 months already.. Singing well. Now I try to breed them... have then together... have a male and female. They bonded straight away no fighting.

I have one problem. They are very timid and frightened of me. If I go to feed them or change the water they will fly madly in the cage and sometimes injure themselves on face and get blood on their face.

I feel sad for them. How can I help them get not scared of me? Maybe they are wild bird? Can they still get tame? I feel sorry for them and think if they still unhappy in the cage I will let them loose... but I am afraid they will not survive in the wild.

Thank you.

Hi Jasonbirds,

I am not sure if this work for you but possibly you can try this method..

keep them in small cage and cover half of the cage.... then place the cage at the location which have many people. after few weeks, normally the bird will become used to people and not very wild anymore.

wish you all the best.
Best Regards,
Tanin

JasonBirds
Weaning Bird

Postby JasonBirds » Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:12 pm

Thank you. That is a very good idea. I will take them out the large cage and add to their 2 old small ones.

I will move them into the house in the main room. Cover half the cage. I will spend a lot of time there with them for a week and see what happens.

I am excited to breed them later. They really like each other and chatter and the male will dance for the female.

I hope to hand feed the young birds when they leave the nest to get them to be very tame.

I love the black throat laughing Thrush song so much... loud and funny too!

Any ideas about a good diet? I feed mine on insect bird pellets, mix with chicken feed. Also give giant mealworms, crickets, steamed corn. They don't seem to eat any fruit I offer, and they HATE the mynah bird pellets... they refuse to even try them lol.

Tanin
Site Admin

Postby Tanin » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:30 pm

JasonBirds wrote:Thank you. That is a very good idea. I will take them out the large cage and add to their 2 old small ones.

I will move them into the house in the main room. Cover half the cage. I will spend a lot of time there with them for a week and see what happens.

I am excited to breed them later. They really like each other and chatter and the male will dance for the female.

I hope to hand feed the young birds when they leave the nest to get them to be very tame.

I love the black throat laughing Thrush song so much... loud and funny too!

Any ideas about a good diet? I feed mine on insect bird pellets, mix with chicken feed. Also give giant mealworms, crickets, steamed corn. They don't seem to eat any fruit I offer, and they HATE the mynah bird pellets... they refuse to even try them lol.

I only keep one bird long time ago... about 20 years plus ago... at that time I just give bird pallets and some cricket... so I am not very sure on their optimum diet.... but if I am not mistake there are many member here that have lots of experiance keeping them... let me go through some of the posting and will share the link if I got it.

by the way, good luck on the pair and please do keep us update on this from time to time.
Best Regards,
Tanin

Return to “Hwa Mei”