urgently need help newbie here

I observe that many people like to keep this small bird for their beautiful song. Zosterops (Zosterops Palpebrosa) is normally called 'Mata Puteh" (white eye) in this region.
mr. pete

Re: urgently need help newbie here

Postby mr. pete » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:02 am

inasia wrote:Hi Pete,

.. i detest the idea they died because of my handling.

I myself in the past have lost quite a few birds to death, and i know what the feeling of guilt is, and the sadness to lose them.

Hopefully i can learn a few of the do and don't so as this time around i wish i can attain the know how of keeping these birds similar that i see in videos of happy, healthy and singing birds.

Pardon me, sometimes my questions sound dumb and ignorant, but the truth is indeed i am very still a novice after all.

Hi inasia,

I think (I'm no expert either!) as long as we keep to the basics of routinely providing sufficient food, water, bathing and some sunshine, our birds should do fine.

Peter

inasia
A Flying Bird

Re: urgently need help newbie here

Postby inasia » Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:24 am

mr. pete wrote:
inasia wrote:Hi Pete,

.. i detest the idea they died because of my handling.

I myself in the past have lost quite a few birds to death, and i know what the feeling of guilt is, and the sadness to lose them.

Hopefully i can learn a few of the do and don't so as this time around i wish i can attain the know how of keeping these birds similar that i see in videos of happy, healthy and singing birds.

Pardon me, sometimes my questions sound dumb and ignorant, but the truth is indeed i am very still a novice after all.

Hi inasia,

I think (I'm no expert either!) as long as we keep to the basics of routinely providing sufficient food, water, bathing and some sunshine, our birds should do fine.

Peter

Hi Pete,

Thanks for the information, and i think that very true the basics of routinely providing sufficient food, water, bathing and some sunshine, that should do our birds fine. Sometimes just as life and beyond that it is out of our comprehension. Unforeseen circumstances. Que Sera Sera.

Sometimes contaminated food or unclean water, a shock or a scary incident, our feather friends are actually very small little creatures, what we humans can handle they cannot, a careless can of insect pesticide or the mosquito fogging machine blasting in the neighborhood. Sometimes an infected insect can cause serious harm when eaten by the bird.

Sometimes i think too that could have been the reason for my three Shamas to be sick and died in a short period of time, cause i was having lots of grasshoppers easily at hand, then there was a rise in dengue fever mosquitoes, Since Samui is a coconut island these open coconut shells can be a huge source of breeding grounds. So lots of fogging was going on here and there. I can be right or wrong i am not sure if these pesticide will be transfer to the food of our birds.

But then again, if the birds is in the wild, will they be able to avoid this by instinct and refrain from eating the insects . or they too meet the same fate after consuming the contaminated insects.

Thanks again for your reply.

Cheers

inasia

Return to “Zosterops / Mata Puteh”