How to tame my puteh?

I observe that many people like to keep this small bird for their beautiful song. Zosterops (Zosterops Palpebrosa) is normally called 'Mata Puteh" (white eye) in this region.
Little John Boy
Egg

How to tame my puteh?

Postby Little John Boy » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:49 am

Hello all puteh lovers :)
I'm Jonathan, i'm from Indonesia. recently joined this forum.

Few weeks ago a friend of mine gave me a Zosterops, quite a funny little guy. I hang him out in my garden every morning and put him under the shade when the sun gets higher. I give him small yellow pellets from the birdshop (don't know what the brand is :?: ) and sometimes i give him bananas, orange or papaya with combinations of small crickets or grasshoppers. He's still not very tame and jumps alot when he sees people walks near him. When my hands enter the cage to top up his food and water or give him fruits, he will flutter about in the cage :?

I wonder if anyone here can give me some guidance on how to make my puteh tame? :?

PS: i cover his cage with cloth at night to rest (that's the only time he's quiet and calm)
Attachments
Puteh.jpg
Here's a picture of my puteh. He's so jumpy, even when i take this photo
Puteh.jpg (115.05 KiB) Viewed 3278 times

canary
Wise Owl

Re: How to tame my puteh?

Postby canary » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:26 am

Hi Little,

No worry, you are doing just fine, read more on the old topics and you will be able to capture tips on how to improve and care of your mata puteh.

As your question on taming puteh, expose him more on human interactive and bath him more often ie at least 1 a day, as time goes by he will be settle down quite easily. Meanwhile, get yourself a bath cage for finch/mata puteh, transfer your mata puteh into bath cage whenever you do the maintenance work ie top up water/food/cleaning to prevent your bird from escape and suffer serious head injury.

Hope my little contribution will help.

Cheers.

Little John Boy
Egg

Postby Little John Boy » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:27 am

Hi Little,

No worry, you are doing just fine, read more on the old topics and you will be able to capture tips on how to improve and care of your mata puteh.

As your question on taming puteh, expose him more on human interactive and bath him more often ie at least 1 a day, as time goes by he will be settle down quite easily. Meanwhile, get yourself a bath cage for finch/mata puteh, transfer your mata puteh into bath cage whenever you do the maintenance work ie top up water/food/cleaning to prevent your bird from escape and suffer serious head injury.

Hope my little contribution will help.

Hi canary,

Thanks for the tips. I've been trying to bathe my puteh with water spray, i don't really have the time to bathe him in the morning since i have to go for my classes. So far he's quite happy with the water spray and sometimes put his head in the water cup (maybe trying to bathe :?: ). I'll see if i can get one of those puteh bath cage here, so far i can only find bath cages for shama in local birdshops (the cage bars are to wide, maybe puteh can slip through the bars and fly away).

Also, i've read some of the posts here and i noticed that my puteh and some of the putehs you guys keep is different? Mine is all yellowish green coloured body all down to the belly is also green. Some of the puteh keepers here have white plumage in their puteh's belly. Is my puteh a different one? Does that difference somehow related to the puteh's singing ability? (or maybe my kind of puteh is a wild one and more unlikely to be tame? )

All comments and helps are welcome
cheers :)

Brandon
Talking Birds

Postby Brandon » Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:21 am

Bro,

It will take a while for the puteh to be tamed, unless urs is a pop eyes type ( the eyes is more protrude) than this type of bird won't be tame even u keep for years.
as for the feather color, it vary from different location birds. Putehs from differnt area the calling sound is also different .

Little John Boy
Egg

Postby Little John Boy » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:08 pm

Hi Brandon,

Well maybe it's only a matter of time and my patience until finally my puteh become tame. I've bathed him as Canary suggested and he's slightly calmer now. Sometimes also start to sing his mid-tone right after i put him in the garden after bath. If i want to hear him sing i have to keep out of sight. if he caught me watching he'll stop singing and jumps around again :lol:

I don't know what you mean by "pop eyes type" ? I never seen puteh with eyes popping out (kinda scary bro haha) :shock: , but my puteh seems to have normal eyes, at least proportional to it's head.
" The reason birds can fly and we can't is simply that they have perfect faith, for to have faith is to have wings. "

Return to “Zosterops / Mata Puteh”