Myths & Facts - Fruits and Wet Faeces

I observe that many people like to keep this small bird for their beautiful song. Zosterops (Zosterops Palpebrosa) is normally called 'Mata Puteh" (white eye) in this region.
dance4rain
The Great Eagle

Postby dance4rain » Sat May 24, 2008 11:09 pm

mat top wrote:My own reasoning-the container for water is emty.The bird is thirsty and scared that ther will be no water to drink,so from that moment onwards the bird will drink continue to drink

I agree with the above as another reason.
Quite common occurrence as weight for weight ratio, a Mata Puteh will eat and drink more than most birds. Sometimes I wonder, when I give them fruits, the fruits themselves are as big as the bird or even bigger
:lol: :lol:

But bottom line i find puteh the most demanding of all

Very true. Base on the above reasons. Plus small cups - I normally would include a plastic cup of water inside although it would make the cage look ugly. It is for safety reason. To-date, after about 2 years into keeping birds, no bird has ever died from starvation or thirst even with my frequent travelling (touching wood at the moment) :lol:

jessejames
Wise Owl

Postby jessejames » Sat May 31, 2008 4:16 pm

dance4rain wrote:
mat top wrote:My own reasoning-the container for water is emty.The bird is thirsty and scared that ther will be no water to drink,so from that moment onwards the bird will drink continue to drink

I agree with the above as another reason.
Quite common occurrence as weight for weight ratio, a Mata Puteh will eat and drink more than most birds. Sometimes I wonder, when I give them fruits, the fruits themselves are as big as the bird or even bigger
:lol: :lol:

But bottom line i find puteh the most demanding of all

Very true. Base on the above reasons. Plus small cups - I normally would include a plastic cup of water inside although it would make the cage look ugly. It is for safety reason. To-date, after about 2 years into keeping birds, no bird has ever died from starvation or thirst even with my

To DANCE4RAIN N YAP,you put 3 mata puteh in 1 cage and how much food and water they consume.Its frightening man.True its easy to keep but to get the bird to ' buka ' its one hell of a job.I still got 3 putehs,sound ok,alot of throar sound which i like and i hang them outside.Back from work i just make sure they got food and water.i gave super so they share with jambul.bath sorry once a week.that goes for all my birb.I not only bathe the birds i wash the cages and spray DETOL to the cages esp merbok and terkukur.for those who come swim,i just hose them.No choice,i got 38 indidualed caged to take care.mat top

frequent travelling (touching wood at the moment) :lol:[/qu

ote]

tool
Talking Birds

Re: Myths & Facts - Fruits and Wet Faeces

Postby tool » Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:35 am

Just to update on my experimentation of putehs about food,health & eating habits..( since i've got nothing to do now..ahahaha :lol: :lol: :lol: )

I"ve been keeping 2 putehs for close to 8months now with only 1 cup of water & 1 cup dry food & a piece of apple the sice of a normal persons thumb ( pls note that i gave only apple's for the first 6 months i think,now only i change variety a bit ) in each cage...Just the normal small ceramic puteh cups that you buy from birdshops which comes in a set of 5's..

These 1 cup of water & 1 cup of food & 1 piece of apple will be change every 2 days when i bath them...
Usually the apple will finish on the first day...Water cup & food cup still 1/4 full...Curiosity pushed me to experiment further ( actually not really la,sometimes lazy ma ) to go the extra mile & try 3 days without changing anything...& the result is after 3 days there is still a small portion of food & water left... :shock: :shock:

Health & song not effected at all..Birds still singing as hell & feather condition tight like a brand new suit....
Many frens who visited me never really notice that im doing this even when they go right in front of the cage to look at the bird..How can it be that they dont notice the cage being so empty & never ask anything.. :roll: :roll: ..Untill i tell them then only they realise..This means the bird is in good condition whereby people look & concentrade on the birds only when they look..so they dont notice the emptiness of the cage..

Recently got another new bird & this new 1 is on the 1 of everything in every 2 days diet as well....all is fine,buka after 3 weeks of being caught by myself...hehehe :oops: :oops:

The trick is simple ( but expensive actually,but its ok,i'll share ).... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
When the birds are newly caught..Put it with an older bird so it to learn to eat dry food & apple...Coz newly caught Putehs don fly to Australia so they donno how to eat apples,they are not migratory birds...They eat durians....hehehe
Then when you think he is eating the dry food..Immediately put it in an individual cage with only 1 cup of water & 1 cup of food & 1 piece of apple & change it every 2 days....Well there you go...Thats the trick...hahahaha :lol: :lol: :twisted: :twisted: ....If too complicated myself where got the time wanna layan...hahahahaha :oops: :oops:

So go ahead try it...tell me wat happens...

Experimentation came up when i decided to go back into putehs & had 2 birds with with 2 cage & 4 cups...All my old stocks of cups & cages people sapu ady...Donno where all lost...So no time to go buy,just put only la..Untill now still no time to buy....hahahahaha :twisted: :twisted:

1 of my puteh very good...he knows economy not so good so he save a lot...I put him in my house where the tiles are white..When i wake up in the mornings not a single seed on the floor...the whole day not a single seed he throw...very jimat kos...hahahahaha...I wanna give to Mr.Yap (Dance4rain) the other he don wat...

dance4rain
The Great Eagle

Postby dance4rain » Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:40 pm

Great work Troy, any help to reduce time spent maintaining birds equals more time enjoying them :D

...I wanna give to Mr.Yap (Dance4rain) the other he don wat...

hehehe! very tempting. But I have over time learned to restrain myself :lol:
Now in a stock reduction phase of this hobby. But adding a couple of Jambuls just because not satisfied with my luck so far with Jambuls :oops:
I have yet to understand this bulbul, but anyway, wrong forum to talk on this.
Mata Puteh.... ok lah can bluff my way thru :lol: :lol:

abang joe
Wise Owl

Postby abang joe » Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:37 am

Hi Bro Dance4rain......Any MataPutih Bukak For Sale???

dance4rain
The Great Eagle

Postby dance4rain » Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:54 am

Hi abang joe,
Maybe you can try the "wanted" froum. Personally, I do not sell birds.
I am involved in birdkeeping purely as a hobby. I may from time to time try to give birds away to people I know who may better take care of them. I say "try" because a lot of times, these friends don't want to take. Second resort is to release them if I am sure they can survive in the wild.

Return to “Zosterops / Mata Puteh”