Chiku fruit for Mata Puteh?

I observe that many people like to keep this small bird for their beautiful song. Zosterops (Zosterops Palpebrosa) is normally called 'Mata Puteh" (white eye) in this region.
finbir
Talking Birds

New Visitor In the Garden

Postby finbir » Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:19 am

dance4rain wrote:Hi Guys,

This will be off topic. But since I started it, I shall continue until I hear protests :lol:

For starters, my bamboo trees became a victim of a storm and they become bent & leaning on my house. Spent 1 whole evening clearing it & got no chance to view the mysterious bird that has a red streak across the back. Found at least 6 empty nests. Now less attractive for visiting birds. Still waiting for it to make a reappearance. Hehehe!

Found another new visitor in my garden as attached below. I must be one of the laziest bird watcher around - watching only from my arm chair hahahaha!
Will post more as and when I get some good shots.

[img][img]http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k247/dance4rain/Visitor01.jpg[/img][/img]

Hi dance4rain,
Nice picture of the new visitor u got there. If I'm not mistaken, it's one of the shrike family. There's one such brat in the vicinity of my neighbourhood. It has a peculiar liking for little birds besides those on its regular menu.
Wouldn't be surprised if ur puteh is responsible for its presence. On occasions I open the door to find a stray ginger trying to make a forced entry. I finally got rid of the fella by jetting it with perfumed water! Ha,ha,ha!
Take care,man,
Nick

dance4rain
The Great Eagle

Postby dance4rain » Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:00 am

Yikes!!! this thing eats small birds? Time to take in all my Putehs :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Thanks for the warning Nick :)

finbir
Talking Birds

Terror of small birds

Postby finbir » Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:52 pm

dance4rain wrote:Yikes!!! this thing eats small birds? Time to take in all my Putehs :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Thanks for the warning Nick :)

Hi dance4rain,
Sharing info is the theme of this forum. U'll get an even bigger shock if u encounter what happened to some of my friends at a local bird shop a few days ago.
It was way past 5 in the afternoon and as usual we'd often gather there to lock jaws and talk birds. Suddenly it came like a superjet from nowhere and all the birds in the shop punctured. U should see the cages holding the mata putehs(said my friend). If art school need putehs to pose as models, this is it. They looked like Madame Tussaud's.
The speed of the visitor was uncanny. It swooped and pulled out at the last moment, probably realizing that a small crowd of larger living things was around. It lingered just briefly to survey the scenario before jetting off to a nearby hillside with trees.
You guessed it? It's the rajawali!

Bye for now,
Nick.

tool
Talking Birds

Postby tool » Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:08 am

Good day Dance,

Nice bird you've invited to your garden.... :lol: :lol:
If your not carefull enough,you'll find your puteh headless one evening...
Nick was right,it belongs to the shrike family & this particular breed eats small birds.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

I've got my puteh head torn off twice by this bird... :oops: :oops:

How bout i give u a suggestion to catch it before it catches your puteh. :?:
Firstly,this bird like to stand on the end of a pointed branch..( like in your picture ),if this piece of stick is still there & you see it coming most every evening,then suggest you go get some bird glue & i think its hard to get the actual glue people use to catch bird in Melaka....but anyway,if you cant find it,then you can use rat glue ( will be more effective & strong though - but you can get it out of the birds feathers by using oil )....put some of the glue at the edge of the perch where it usualy stands & put a cricket there.....it will definitely go for it..try putting the cricket up side down so that it can rattle its leg to lure the bird..just something fun & trilling to do over the weekend... :lol: :lol: :lol: ....cought a lot of them though

But sometimes this bird is attracted to the crickets the you leave outside yu house instead of the Puteh's...i use to have one coming to my house and standing on my cricket cage every day....& soon cought it using the above method...better not take the risk....

tool

finbir
Talking Birds

Mini Predator

Postby finbir » Sat Dec 23, 2006 2:31 am

tool wrote:Good day Dance,

Nice bird you've invited to your garden.... :lol: :lol:
If your not carefull enough,you'll find your puteh headless one evening...
Nick was right,it belongs to the shrike family & this particular breed eats small birds.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

I've got my puteh head torn off twice by this bird... :oops: :oops:

How bout i give u a suggestion to catch it before it catches your puteh. :?:
Firstly,this bird like to stand on the end of a pointed branch..( like in your picture ),if this piece of stick is still there & you see it coming most every evening,then suggest you go get some bird glue & i think its hard to get the actual glue people use to catch bird in Melaka....but anyway,if you cant find it,then you can use rat glue ( will be more effective & strong though - but you can get it out of the birds feathers by using oil )....put some of the glue at the edge of the perch where it usualy stands & put a cricket there.....it will definitely go for it..try putting the cricket up side down so that it can rattle its leg to lure the bird..just something fun & trilling to do over the weekend... :lol: :lol: :lol: ....cought a lot of them though

But sometimes this bird is attracted to the crickets the you leave outside yu house instead of the Puteh's...i use to have one coming to my house and standing on my cricket cage every day....& soon cought it using the above method...better not take the risk....

tool

Tool, my friend,
Living things thrive on the role nature has created for them. Killing this chap is not going to help. Why not trap it and release it in another part of the country? A friend of mine once lopped off the legs of a sparrowhawk he'd caught after the bird flew into the house and savaged one of his merboks.It was released and fluttered away to die a lingering death.Will that bring the merbok back to life?
Nowadays, we still find these mini raptors on the prowl.Don't tell me u want to gun down all of them?
I'm not for protecting them but u know what happened to our Crocodile Hunter friend.Unexpected things do occur!

We are fortunate to be born us and not one of our feathered friends.

Have a pleasant day,
Nick.

dance4rain
The Great Eagle

Postby dance4rain » Sun Dec 24, 2006 6:58 am

Hi Nick,

Don't worry, Brudder Tool did not suggest I kill the shrikes yet. Just catch them only 8)

However, I have no intention of catching the shrike. I keep my Putehs indoor instead. Only outdoor when bathing them or sun bathing. Of course there is still a risk when sun bathing. I just need to be their eyes and be more observant I suppose :(

At one time when they were a bit still & quiet, I took them in even though I did not see anything that could be bothering them. In nature, I suppose they still do have to contend with natural predators like bigger birds, squirrels, snakes, cats etc. When caged I guess I have to take over the role of "Rukun Tetangga" (neighbourhood crime watch) hehehe!

Another challenge in bird keeping we all have to consider :( :( :(

Warmest regards.

Return to “Zosterops / Mata Puteh”