Chiku fruit for Mata Puteh?

I observe that many people like to keep this small bird for their beautiful song. Zosterops (Zosterops Palpebrosa) is normally called 'Mata Puteh" (white eye) in this region.
dance4rain
The Great Eagle

Postby dance4rain » Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:26 pm

Hi all,

Confirm Lucky's coloration as described for Z. everetti. Feathers above the beak & crown are the same. Does it mean that everetti is more prevalent in Msia vs palperbrossa? Does everetti means highland? Time to hang Lucky higher up? hehehe just some foolish questions. Maybe everetti need to be chai from a higher place :lol:

softbillsaviary
Talking Birds

Postby softbillsaviary » Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:55 pm

Hi dance4rain,

:lol: hahaha! No need to hang Lucky higher up.

Everetts are very common now in the gardens and you can even find them near your sister-in-law's (or sister?) house.

But that is not an indication that Everetts are more common than the Orientals. There are lots of Orientals in the swampy areas, mangroves and lowland undergrowth. That you hardly see them is due the fact that you seldom go to such places?

Several months ago when I was at Sepang a flock of Putehs flew past and landed on a flowering plant about 50 yards away. Setting my binoculars at max, I identified them as Orientals.

Nowadays most shops stock Everetts rather than Orientals. I don't know why.

Maybe the trappers are just too lazy to venture further. Why bother if they can simply go to a park nearby with lots of flowering plants and get 10 or more and sell them to the shop down the road? After all, the trappers and the shop are only interested in the $$$.

warmest regards,
Sam
Last edited by softbillsaviary on Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

softbillsaviary
Talking Birds

Postby softbillsaviary » Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:03 am

Hi brudders & escpecially brudders in Singapore,

Just to add a note of interest for the Singaporean brudders:

There used to be small flocks of Orientals in the Ponggol area in the 1970s right up till early 1980s. I believe there could be even more flocks of the Putehs before the 1970s, but I wasn't into watching birds yet in the 1960s (I was still playing marbles, tops and stealing rambutans from neighbours' trees).

Now there are small feral flocks of Putehs in the reservoir area and also in Sungei Buloh (Singapore's nature reserve wetlands). Most of these, if not all are escapees or descendants of escapees.

In Malaysia, as I mentioned in an earlier post, the two species of Putehs are no longer clearly defined by its habitats. Some Everetts are also found foraging amongst the mangroves and lowland gardens.

Why?

The answer lies in the destruction of the Everetts habitats. There used to be lots of them in the fringes of KL up till the 1980s. When massive housing and commercial development began, the rate of deforestation was much too rapid and the Everetts had to adapt or die. So now you will find them in your gardens, parks and particularly in the housing estates built in hilly areas. If you have a well planted garden with the right type of trees, they will find their way there.

warmest regards,
Sam

dance4rain
The Great Eagle

Postby dance4rain » Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:13 am

Hi Sam,

Do you mind sharing what type of trees are preferred? Now I have visiting Zosterops in my garden. At a glance looks like Everetti. Anyway I stuck a piece of red apple on a tree to try feeding them this morning & placed a digital camera on a tripod facing it (hehehe! must start to learn photography also mah!). My point & shoot 3.1mega pixel one is useless as it only has 3X optical zoom. So I am using an old video recorder that does 25X optical zoom, however the trade off is very low resolution photo - better than nothing :)

I don't expect to get anything but maybe tomorrow & Sunday I may have time to wait, listen & shoot. By the way with your experience what are the preferred fruits? Best one.... cannot resist one.... must try one.... die also must taste :lol:

The wild visiting Putehs is also one reason I am not in a hurry to get another Puteh as a sparring "chai" partner for Lucky. Where to find man! Ppl come to your house to "chai". No need susah-susah find chai place (non existant here anyway :( )

dance4rain
The Great Eagle

Postby dance4rain » Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:59 am

This is the bait.... waiting.... waiting.... waiting....
aisay no takers as of 5pm. Only a bee sucking on the apple :(

[img][img]http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k247/dance4rain/TheBait.jpg[/img][/img]

softbillsaviary
Talking Birds

Postby softbillsaviary » Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:08 pm

dance4rain wrote:Hi Sam,

Do you mind sharing what type of trees are preferred? Now I have visiting Zosterops in my garden. At a glance looks like Everetti. Anyway I stuck a piece of red apple on a tree to try feeding them this morning & placed a digital camera on a tripod facing it (hehehe! must start to learn photography also mah!). My point & shoot 3.1mega pixel one is useless as it only has 3X optical zoom. So I am using an old video recorder that does 25X optical zoom, however the trade off is very low resolution photo - better than nothing :)

I don't expect to get anything but maybe tomorrow & Sunday I may have time to wait, listen & shoot. By the way with your experience what are the preferred fruits? Best one.... cannot resist one.... must try one.... die also must taste :lol:

Hi dance4rain (and any brudders who may be interested)

Trees and plants:

1) Coral tree. This tree can grow to be quite huge. It would be better to plant it in a big concrete round pot to restrict its size.

The Coral tree has nectar bearing red flowers which attracts the Putehs and Sunbirds.

2) Malvavesia. This is a small shrub with leaves and flowers similar to the common red hibiscus. EXCEPT the leaves and flowers are miniatures of the common hibiscus. The Sunbirds and Putehs like it.

But the Puteh is picky, if you have a Coral tree, they will not visit the Malvavesia. They prefer the Coral tree flowers as the flowers are larger and therefore more suited to their bills. Whereas the Sunbirds have long small curved bills which they can probe into the small malvavesia flowers.

3) Heliconia Strita. This is a tall flowering Helconia which is also a favourite of the puteh. See the pictures of the wild Zosterops I posted earlier - thats a Heliconia strita.

4) Heliconia chatasae. This is a pink flower which hangs down like Chinese firecrackers. It is pink colour and not red (there is another variety which is red).

5) Bottle Brush. A small tree with red blossoms which look like baby bottle brushes.

Sure Must Taste Fruits

1) Oranges

2) Papayas

3) Red apples

Whatelse?

Try making an artificial nectar feeder.

1) Buy a plastic water feeder for bird cages - the feeder is like a small plastic bottle inverted with a beige colour detachable bottom which has a small drain sticking out.

Normally birdkeepers use this when they don't want to put their hands inside the cage to remove the cups, because you can stick this feeder to the side of the cage from outside.

2) Use a red or blue permanent ink pen to colour the small drain.

3) Buy a simple plastic flower (red colour preferred), cut a hole in the center of the plastic flower so that you can fit the feeder drain through the hole.

4) Fill the feeder with nectar (homemade recipe as per my earlier post)

5) Tie the feeder to a shrub or tree which you know the visiting Putehs always perch.

You may need to be patient as it will take some time before the puteh learn that there is nectar in the artificial feeder. Maybe 2 days to a week.

Another way is to hang your Puteh Lucky near the artificial feeder. Sure dapat the wild putehs to try it.

warmest regards,
Sam

Return to “Zosterops / Mata Puteh”