Breeding Mata Putehs

I observe that many people like to keep this small bird for their beautiful song. Zosterops (Zosterops Palpebrosa) is normally called 'Mata Puteh" (white eye) in this region.
hiyosilveraway
Flying Bird

Postby hiyosilveraway » Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:42 am

Yes, I know the Cheras padang, have been there a few times. The crowd there is ok but some of the people are dodgy characters, so I try to avoid it.

To quote Sam (above) dodgy characters :twisted: will always be there and to share an encounter with some of them, I was told in no uncertain terms, expletives and all that I should not hang my new or immature putehs next to theirs as it will affect the so called "form" of the birds. Adding salt to the wound, I was to blame when their birds went into french molt the following week. All these took place not in Cheras but in another arena. Any forummers here care to comment ,not on those characters but on whether it is true that young birds should not be placed together with "seasoned" birds during training.

Warmest regards to gentlemen like you out there.

kklim
Talking Birds

Postby kklim » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:03 am

Hi Sam,

Eating own eggs is old wives' tale, lah! I give my breeding pairs of finches hard-boiled egg and they've never broken their own eggs before. What I do is boil chicken eggs for 12 minutes (any more and the sulphur comes out - greenish yolk), remove the shell, mash egg up using a fork, place in ice-cube trays and freeze. When it's makan time, I defreeze one or two egg-cubes in the microwave and serve it up. Remove leftover egg after two hours as it'll go bad. My females eat the eggshell when the eggs hatch. Do putehs do that? Some wild birds carry the shell and dump it away from the nest so as to trick predators.

kk

paichunlang
Flying Bird

Postby paichunlang » Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:17 pm

hi all,

I've been following the discussions in this forum for quite sometimes because i'm keeping 2 male mata puteh and 1 female and i found that this forum is useful and very informative because most of the forumers here is very experienced in keeping mata puteh.

Recently i caught a pair of wild mata puteh from a same flock. I put them together with my female mata putih in a large cage 4'x2'x2'.

My question is, will they breed if mix them together? Well my logic is mata puteh is a flock bird and keeping them together should be no problem. But will they breed?

I give them plenty of fruits, dry food and some life food. I also provide them with nesting materials consisting of a variety of natural fiber.

Have anybody here succesfully breed mata putih by keeping them together with more than a breeding pair?
SYAHRUL
GEORGETOWN , PENANG

dance4rain
The Great Eagle

Postby dance4rain » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:38 am

Syahrul,

Yes, they will breed. More than a pair is not a problem. Unless you want to do selective breeding.
As to the details, I can't advise yet. I have yet to make an aviary for my Putehs. A bit tricky as I only have 4 licenses and I would like the Perhilitan to visit me soon :shock:

But then no need to wait for advises, just experiment and you would be better for it :D

When I start, I would consider a quiet place surrounded by shady plants. Bathing facilities. A small rattan basket. I think all else has been covered by you. Best of luck.

paichunlang
Flying Bird

Postby paichunlang » Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:15 am

Hi Yap,

Thanks for the quick reply. Atleast now i know that i'm in the right direction. But as for the shady plant, i placed the breeding cage indoor so not much of sunlight will reach the cage. Will that discourage them to breed? Is sunlight a necescity?

I also cover the part where i put the nesting basket (i use a coconut that i cut into half) with cloth. It cover half the cage because my inexperience logic that will give them the privacy that they need to breed. So far i try to refrain myself from peeking inside the nest because from what i've read in this forum some of the pair will abandon their nest if people look inside their nest.

Am i doing the right thing? If not can u kindly point me in the right direction so i can correct it.
SYAHRUL
GEORGETOWN , PENANG

dance4rain
The Great Eagle

Postby dance4rain » Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:08 pm

Syahrul,
If you have seen Mata Puteh nests in the wild, they are cup shape and much smaller than the coconut halves. But then again it might work. I can't really advise as I have no experience yet. We can do trial and error. If it doesn't work, can always switch this and that :D
I personally would prefer natural fibers to cloth as nesting materials. For one, the cloth may absorb too much moisture and do harm to the eggs or chicks.

I must stop giving my opinions now. Time to start my breeding. I have a good male. Now looking for a good female. Since the effort to breed birds are time consuming, my thought is why not go for the best available :D Good luck to us :D

Return to “Zosterops / Mata Puteh”