Molting period for Mata Puteh

I observe that many people like to keep this small bird for their beautiful song. Zosterops (Zosterops Palpebrosa) is normally called 'Mata Puteh" (white eye) in this region.
ahseah
Egg

Molting period for Mata Puteh

Postby ahseah » Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:18 am

The recent wet weather has caused my Buka Mata Putehs to be fluffy, sits all day and no more Buka retrovert. I noticed they have started to molt too. Could i ask some advise on molting please ... How long period is one moulting process and how many molts puteh go thru a year?? The other problems i noticed is, when they are going thru molting, their feces seems to be wet and their overall behaviour sucks. (just like a woman going thru her monthly ......)
As i have kept finches and is quite verse in their health issue, i have adopted some of these to Mata Puteh, don't know i am doing good or harm for the Putehs but would also like to share these with Birdie Brothers, perhaps you all could advise me further.
As usual i would bathe them daily, Sun them (if possible) but for the diet, pellets as normal, replace their daily fruits to:: day 1- lettuce, day 2-no greens, no fruits, day 3 - fuits, days 4 - lettuce (applied with grasshopper powder) and day 5- no greens, no fruits, just pellets. Besides, in their daily drinking water, i added supplements, amino acid to speed up their molting period. Walla, it seems to work for my Puteh, in 2-3 weeks, their molting is almost 70-80% completed and starts to Tiong Aw alot (although no Buka yet). Their feathers are now more shiny and seems to be in good form. The question is how do i get them to BUKA again..... Can some Puteh expert please advise..thank u

Siskin Bird

Return to “Zosterops / Mata Puteh”