Japanese zosterops?

I observe that many people like to keep this small bird for their beautiful song. Zosterops (Zosterops Palpebrosa) is normally called 'Mata Puteh" (white eye) in this region.
tancho
Talking Birds

Japanese zosterops?

Postby tancho » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:41 am

Was at Macau bird shop yesterday, and saw two cages full of mata puteh labelled as "Japanese Zosterop". Are these different from the mata putehs kept here?

dance4rain
The Great Eagle

Re: Japanese zosterops?

Postby dance4rain » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:45 pm

They are Zosterops Japonica. Different.
Local Zosterops are reputed to be much better :D
Another difference is the local ones need license but the Japonica do not.
Strength lies in differences, not similarities

birdstud

Postby birdstud » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:47 am

Hi, problem is our special agents here can't tell the difference. My member kena the other day. Kena rampas gak. Dia terpaksa gi balai dgn resit siap dgn gambar wikipedia dan Akta INTESA dan Wildlife Act to show Pengarah that this not covered. What a bloody hassle and due to the stress 2 out of 4 gol and best part no compensation lak tu. :evil: They should amend the act to allow us to claim compensation when they screw up and not just get away with it.

tancho
Talking Birds

Postby tancho » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:27 am

dance4rain wrote:They are Zosterops Japonica. Different.
Local Zosterops are reputed to be much better :D
Another difference is the local ones need license but the Japonica do not.

Couldn't tell the difference...learn something new today. Cheers

tancho
Talking Birds

Postby tancho » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:29 am

birdstud wrote:Hi, problem is our special agents here can't tell the difference. My member kena the other day. Kena rampas gak. Dia terpaksa gi balai dgn resit siap dgn gambar wikipedia dan Akta INTESA dan Wildlife Act to show Pengarah that this not covered. What a bloody hassle and due to the stress 2 out of 4 gol and best part no compensation lak tu. :evil: They should amend the act to allow us to claim compensation when they screw up and not just get away with it.

You mean Perhilitan actually goes around looking for offenders? How did they came about your friend's bird...in a competition?

birdstud

Postby birdstud » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:22 am

tancho wrote:
birdstud wrote:Hi, problem is our special agents here can't tell the difference. My member kena the other day. Kena rampas gak. Dia terpaksa gi balai dgn resit siap dgn gambar wikipedia dan Akta INTESA dan Wildlife Act to show Pengarah that this not covered. What a bloody hassle and due to the stress 2 out of 4 gol and best part no compensation lak tu. :evil: They should amend the act to allow us to claim compensation when they screw up and not just get away with it.

You mean Perhilitan actually goes around looking for offenders? How did they came about your friend's bird...in a competition?

They engage meter readers, postman and nosey neighbours to tip-off and they get a commission from fines paid. Sometimes they pose as spectators at local chai areas to track. (My friend kena on some tip-off) One of my friend's shama kena confiscated when he went out. He rushed to the balai with his licence and was given a different one (he's was a newly crowned champ!). When he complained they just pukul bodoh and said my friend was mistaken. Poor fella was fuming mad and has since given up the hobby. Wonder what happened to his actual bird :roll: ?

Return to “Zosterops / Mata Puteh”