how to differentiate between male n female MP?..

I observe that many people like to keep this small bird for their beautiful song. Zosterops (Zosterops Palpebrosa) is normally called 'Mata Puteh" (white eye) in this region.
dance4rain
The Great Eagle

Re: how to differentiate between male n female MP?..

Postby dance4rain » Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:42 am

birdlover_82 wrote:dance4rain..
as an experience MP keeper, is it ok to keep only single mata puteh?..@ should i find another one to encourage it to sing?..

Sorry, just saw your post today.
I think it is perfectly ok just to keep one...... but as you put it, more will sing to each other. But I find it over rated, as after some time, they know their neighbours around and not so don't really get all worked up :D
Keeping one only, I still find that they will sing (buka) especially morning and evening and anywhere in between.

birdlover_82
Flying Bird

Postby birdlover_82 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:08 am

my puteh hardly to 'buka' like others bird as i seen in youtube..but he instantly and happily sing his sub song non stop everytime i carry him around my house which is away from his constant cage place..is it bcoz his is still young@what?..

beyond
Baby Bird

Postby beyond » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:06 am

Almost one month. My Puteh never buka or Mid tone before..

dance4rain
The Great Eagle

Postby dance4rain » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:50 am

Possibly female.

jeffreylow
Wise Owl

Postby jeffreylow » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:23 pm

You can also tell the sex by the monosyllable loud call:
1)males usually have a sharper note than females but there are exceptions where some males will sound almost like a female. That is when you will come across comments like "this male has a female's voice".

2)the male's monosyllable loud call ends abruptly but that of the female is more 'rounded' towards the end of the note.
It is hard for me to explain what I meant by this because I am not so good at explaining sounds in words. Perhaps I will try to explain it in this way:
Lets take 2 chinese surnames - Chee (as in Chee Soon Juan) and Chow (as in Chow Yuen Fatt). To me, when I read them aloud, "Chee" will sound like ending abruptly whereas "Chow" is more rounded towards the end of the sound.

Hope this is of some help.

Brandon
Talking Birds

Postby Brandon » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:22 pm

jeffreylow wrote:You can also tell the sex by the monosyllable loud call:
1)males usually have a sharper note than females but there are exceptions where some males will sound almost like a female. That is when you will come across comments like "this male has a female's voice".

2)the male's monosyllable loud call ends abruptly but that of the female is more 'rounded' towards the end of the note.
It is hard for me to explain what I meant by this because I am not so good at explaining sounds in words. Perhaps I will try to explain it in this way:
Lets take 2 chinese surnames - Chee (as in Chee Soon Juan) and Chow (as in Chow Yuen Fatt). To me, when I read them aloud, "Chee" will sound like ending abruptly whereas "Chow" is more rounded towards the end of the sound.

Hope this is of some help.

Wow.....if got a male puteh that can call female sound....than when he called 1 sound male sound 1sound female sound....it would sound like Chow chee chow chee chow chee.......hahaha :lol:

Return to “Zosterops / Mata Puteh”