recipies for puteh

I observe that many people like to keep this small bird for their beautiful song. Zosterops (Zosterops Palpebrosa) is normally called 'Mata Puteh" (white eye) in this region.
mr. pete

Re: recipies for puteh

Postby mr. pete » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:44 am

kuswono wrote:Hi all,
I have 2 Puteh at home, but here(Indonesia) puteh birds only feed with fruit like bananas, papayas & apples
after reading this article I know that puteh can feed besides fruit

my question to all master puteh bird:

how to teach puteh to eat dry food ?
what the good and bad effects if puteh always feed fruit ?

many thanks, :)

regards,
kuswono

Hi kuswono,

Firstly, welcome to Malaysia Bird Forum!

There is a discussion here which should give you a better idea on the pros and cons of feeding putehs a fruit-based diet.If you are considering adding pellets to the birds' diet, one consideration that comes to mind is whether a continuous supply of such pellets is available in your location.

As to whether the Putehs will eat pellets offered, I find that these birds are naturally curious, and will quickly adapt to the new food source. An example of pellets of a suitable size and nutritional value available in Malaysia and Singapore is shown below.

Best regards,

Peter

jeffreylow
Wise Owl

Postby jeffreylow » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:34 am

Hi kuswono,
These days, when we in singapore buy wild caught putehs from birdshops, these wild putehs already know how to eat dry food so there is no problem for the buyer. I think these days, most of the time the puteh arrived at the shops, already trained to eat dry food..(or is it because like our children, modern day wild putehs are cleverer than those of yesteryears?)

If my memory is still good, I remember that in the olden days, when we buy wild caught putehs direct from the trappers (they came by cartons), freshly taken from the wild, there is very high mortality during the first few days. I thought they always die at night and I can only guess that it must be the lower temperature at night coupled with stress and hunger that causes the high mortality in newly wild caught putehs. These days, I don't hear of putehs dying like that and I really don't know if it is because they are first quarantined and trained to eat at the trappers place or if it is because putehs these days are more resilient. Anyway, if the puteh that is freshly taken from the wild don't know how to eat dry food, powder the dry food and mesh it up with ripe banana and they will quickly learn to eat dry food. If you make your own dry food because there is none available commercially over your side, make sure it is slightly sweetened by adding sugar and this will encourage the puteh to eat them. Once they have tasted the sweetened dry food, they will continue to eat them without much problems.

Long long time ago, when we don't have commercially available dry puteh food, we at first feed them with crumps of green bean cakes and they thrived. From there onwards, we made our puteh dry food using green beans (aka mung beans or kacang hijau), enriched with egg yolks and sweetened with sugar. If you need to, use this basic ingredients and you can't go too wrong except that you have to make sure they are well fried so that they will not spoil easily. Try to be as consistent as possible everytime you make them to minimise upsetting their digestive system.

kuswono
Hatchling

Postby kuswono » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:20 am

mr. pete wrote:
Hi kuswono,

Firstly, welcome to Malaysia Bird Forum!

There is a discussion here which should give you a better idea on the pros and cons of feeding putehs a fruit-based diet.If you are considering adding pellets to the birds' diet, one consideration that comes to mind is whether a continuous supply of such pellets is available in your location.

As to whether the Putehs will eat pellets offered, I find that these birds are naturally curious, and will quickly adapt to the new food source. An example of pellets of a suitable size and nutritional value available in Malaysia and Singapore is shown below.

Best regards,

Peter

thank you mr. pete
hopefully with I join in this forum I can increase my knowledge about animals,
especially birds :D

kuswono
Hatchling

Postby kuswono » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:43 am

jeffreylow wrote:Hi kuswono,
These days, when we in singapore buy wild caught putehs from birdshops, these wild putehs already know how to eat dry food so there is no problem for the buyer. I think these days, most of the time the puteh arrived at the shops, already trained to eat dry food..(or is it because like our children, modern day wild putehs are cleverer than those of yesteryears?)

If my memory is still good, I remember that in the olden days, when we buy wild caught putehs direct from the trappers (they came by cartons), freshly taken from the wild, there is very high mortality during the first few days. I thought they always die at night and I can only guess that it must be the lower temperature at night coupled with stress and hunger that causes the high mortality in newly wild caught putehs. These days, I don't hear of putehs dying like that and I really don't know if it is because they are first quarantined and trained to eat at the trappers place or if it is because putehs these days are more resilient. Anyway, if the puteh that is freshly taken from the wild don't know how to eat dry food, powder the dry food and mesh it up with ripe banana and they will quickly learn to eat dry food. If you make your own dry food because there is none available commercially over your side, make sure it is slightly sweetened by adding sugar and this will encourage the puteh to eat them. Once they have tasted the sweetened dry food, they will continue to eat them without much problems.

Long long time ago, when we don't have commercially available dry puteh food, we at first feed them with crumps of green bean cakes and they thrived. From there onwards, we made our puteh dry food using green beans (aka mung beans or kacang hijau), enriched with egg yolks and sweetened with sugar. If you need to, use this basic ingredients and you can't go too wrong except that you have to make sure they are well fried so that they will not spoil easily. Try to be as consistent as possible everytime you make them to minimise upsetting their digestive system.

hi jeffreylow,

thanks for your info
but in here puteh sold in traditional birdshops
usually puteh in traditional birdshops only feed fruit by the seller and never known dry feed, so when I bought this puteh he's very difficult to trained eat dry feed
a few days ago i try to give my puteh dry feed and seemed feed not eaten, only shed at the bottom of aviary. then my friend suggest me feed puteh with baby porridge powder based green beans

is there one of you ever tried to give baby porridge powder to puteh ?

thanks before :D

regards,
kuswono

jeffreylow
Wise Owl

Postby jeffreylow » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:28 pm

I take it that you mean porridge powder made with green beans. That sound alot like what we used in the olden days here, powdered green bean cake. Should be good if the bird will eat and if they don't, you start by meshing this into ripe bananas.

kuswono
Hatchling

Postby kuswono » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:18 pm

jeffreylow wrote:I take it that you mean porridge powder made with green beans. That sound alot like what we used in the olden days here, powdered green bean cake. Should be good if the bird will eat and if they don't, you start by meshing this into ripe bananas.

thank you Jeff
I'll try it and always reported about the progress of my puteh

Return to “Zosterops / Mata Puteh”