new puteh banging head against the cage bars

I observe that many people like to keep this small bird for their beautiful song. Zosterops (Zosterops Palpebrosa) is normally called 'Mata Puteh" (white eye) in this region.
Murai Stone
Flying Bird

new puteh banging head against the cage bars

Postby Murai Stone » Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:50 am

can anyone suggest a method whereby to make my puteh stop banging its head against the bathing cage bars??

my 1st puteh seem fine with the bathing cage but the new one is causing this..i worrried coz the sides of the beak is bleeding..
2 shamas...
1 in KL,the other is still with me..
THis hobby has to be paused for now coz going away for further studies..
Adios'

inasia
A Flying Bird

Re: new puteh banging head against the cage bars

Postby inasia » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:51 am

Murai Stone wrote:can anyone suggest a method whereby to make my puteh stop banging its head against the bathing cage bars??

my 1st puteh seem fine with the bathing cage but the new one is causing this..i worrried coz the sides of the beak is bleeding..

Hi Murai Stone,

Good day, my experience cannot give you a solution to your wild puteh who hurt himself each time he takes a bath, but i can share with you a similiar experience i once had with my red cheek bul bul, and i know exactly how you feel, it hurt me so much seeing the blood from the sides of the beak.

One day i decided enough is enough, life in a cage is definately not you, and i was all prepare to set him free back to the wilderness the next morning giving him a good full day to adapt himself back to nature's welfare, but for some reason that very evening when he was sent into his bathing cage, he cease to hurt himself anymore, flaps around alot but he did not bang his head into the cage's bars. Hence forth he never hurt himself again.

cheers

inasia

nazmina
Talking Birds

Postby nazmina » Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:08 pm

Hi Murai Stone,

Does your bathing cage big enought to accomodate 2 birds?

If so, this is my experience ....

I have a problem with my jambul of it having bath in its bathing cage.

1stly, my method is spraying to induce it to bath - failed.

2ndly, put some ice on top of the bathing cage - also failed.

3rdly, I put the jambul near to the bathing cage to let it see my Pekin Robin bath, not just sitting on the perch - also failed.

Last but not least, put the jambul inside it. Then put my Pekin Robin in it. The Robin start to bath and then after it finished my jambul continue .....
but sadly after my jambul finished preening, it wallop my Robin. :shock:

In your case, I would like to suggest to make them (your 1st puteh and the new one) bath together ....
Once the new one know how to bath in it, most probably will bath alone ....

but always remember, patience is everything ...... :D

p/s hope my infant experience helps ..... coz I'm a just a beginner. :)
regards,

-November Alpha Zulu Mike India-

lancelot
Flying Bird

Postby lancelot » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:56 pm

Hello my "puteh friend"
As you say , my "new" puteh keeps banging its head against the cage bars and doing damage to itself in the process.Thats pretty understandable, considering that it used to be wild and free.Maybe you should have set up its cage with all the niceties of "puteh" life like a cut of an orange,couple of grapes and whatever else there is ,fresh water and its dry food mix plus a few meal worms and also a cloth to completely cover its cage fully.Then and then only should you put the bird in it and leave it aside or perhaps hang it somewhere away from its new environment but where it can still hear the sounds of your other putehs and birds and get used to it.Given a few days or perhaps a week it would have settled in and none the worse for it.Trying to hasten a wild caught bird into a new environment within a specific timeframe is very unfair to the bird(but thats what most people do anyway)but hopefully you can learn from the experiences of others.This is an excellent forum to learn from.Slowly,but slowly you may be able to remove the cloth,raising it higher each day until the bird fells no more threat from its captor and even appreciates the treats its getting and perhaps sing you a song or two.

inasia
A Flying Bird

Postby inasia » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:29 am

lancelot wrote:Hello my "puteh friend"
As you say , my "new" puteh keeps banging its head against the cage bars and doing damage to itself in the process.Thats pretty understandable, considering that it used to be wild and free.Maybe you should have set up its cage with all the niceties of "puteh" life like a cut of an orange,couple of grapes and whatever else there is ,fresh water and its dry food mix plus a few meal worms and also a cloth to completely cover its cage fully.Then and then only should you put the bird in it and leave it aside or perhaps hang it somewhere away from its new environment but where it can still hear the sounds of your other putehs and birds and get used to it.Given a few days or perhaps a week it would have settled in and none the worse for it.Trying to hasten a wild caught bird into a new environment within a specific timeframe is very unfair to the bird(but thats what most people do anyway)but hopefully you can learn from the experiences of others.This is an excellent forum to learn from.Slowly,but slowly you may be able to remove the cloth,raising it higher each day until the bird fells no more threat from its captor and even appreciates the treats its getting and perhaps sing you a song or two.

Hi Lancelot,

Good morning, and very well said the advice and the information on how to go about reducing the stress for the new bird to get use to captivity.

Some birds are much wilder than other, to the extend that it could be some birds from the deep forest and jungle might have never seen a human before in their life.

There can never be one method that suits all, thus the case by case application is necessary.

thanks again Lancelot.

cheers

inasia

kuswono
Hatchling

Postby kuswono » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:58 am

I agree with inasia,
wild puteh who hurt himself because he's not used to living in a cage cause previously he lived in the forest

i suggest you leave it and often bathed him with spray, after that put him in a quiet place who a lot of wind passed
usually after one or two weeks he became more calm and will not hurt himself again

I hope my little experience about puteh
can make your puteh better n make the keeper proud soon :D

Return to “Zosterops / Mata Puteh”