Wild Puteh

I observe that many people like to keep this small bird for their beautiful song. Zosterops (Zosterops Palpebrosa) is normally called 'Mata Puteh" (white eye) in this region.
nobody
Egg

Wild Puteh

Postby nobody » Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:51 pm

Hi,

Recently caught a wild puteh. The voice is good, loud and just started buka, but the problem is the bird is too scare of people.

Anyone here ever caught a wild puteh, keep for some time and the bird eventually become tame?

Is it a must to give puteh nutritions? Any recommendation?

Puteh initially without "bad" habits (eg, somersault etc), how did they eventually learn this? Is there anyways to get rid of these habits?

dance4rain
The Great Eagle

Postby dance4rain » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:07 am

All Putehs are generally wild caught.
So, the answer is - definitely yes, can be tame.
Strength lies in differences, not similarities

cstan005
Wise Owl

Re: Wild Puteh

Postby cstan005 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:53 am

nobody wrote:Hi,

Recently caught a wild puteh. The voice is good, loud and just started buka, but the problem is the bird is too scare of people.

Anyone here ever caught a wild puteh, keep for some time and the bird eventually become tame?

Is it a must to give puteh nutritions? Any recommendation?

Puteh initially without "bad" habits (eg, somersault etc), how did they eventually learn this? Is there anyways to get rid of these habits?

Hi Mr nobody,
welcome to MBF. I'am not perfect in Mata Puteh, but share what have done when caught wild mata putehs, last year
a) Enclosed the cage with cloth, from Top to Bottom ( maximum 3 birds/cage )
b)Let it stay there at least 1 week ( of course with food, water and fruits )
c) After a week, pull up the enclosed cage till Half way( height of the cage ). Do it daily for 3 weeks and on week 4, slowly pull up till the Top cage( round area) and STOP there.
d) Daily routine job with cloth till the Top Roung cage area and STOP there.
e) After 6 weeks, try to seperate them on individual cage and listen to the Tune. U can able to know liow male or female. If it is "Too wild ", banging the cage till "Kepala pecah ", Buka Pintu is the best choice
Hope the above will able to solved some of the issues arised espically on "Twisting Head". To Tame a Mata Puteh, u have to shift location here and there. Let is adapt the movement and yourself too. Perhaps month August will excute the catching of putehs with a friend. Hope it will able to break last year record of 26 birds on 3 days of excitment and MOSQUITO Free Blood Donation campaign
So exciting when Mata Putehs jumping here and there nearing to the Trap. ( pandai-pandai-lah nanti Tertangkap oleh P'litan officer. Heeeee..
Ai-ya.. forget to inform, all the daily routine job was excute by my Old friend 68 yrs liow, HELP out on Weekends only. Frequent exposure to u is the best solution to tame the bird espically Mata Puteh
Happy Rearing
cstan

paichunlang
Flying Bird

Postby paichunlang » Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:15 pm

Hi all,
Can anybody help me to identify mata puteh's sex just by its appearence? Any tips how to identify a good potential mata puteh?
The reason that i'm asking this is that sometimes i got to catch wild mata puteh with my friend(i don't do this often once maybe twice a year atmost). The problem is sometimes we manage to caught up to 20 mata puteh in a trip. I really don't want to bring home all the mata puteh and then release them a week or two later after sexing them and maybe choose the best 2 or 3 out of the whole bunch.
SYAHRUL
GEORGETOWN , PENANG

cstan005
Wise Owl

Postby cstan005 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:15 am

paichunlang wrote:Hi all,
Can anybody help me to identify mata puteh's sex just by its appearence? Any tips how to identify a good potential mata puteh?
The reason that i'm asking this is that sometimes i got to catch wild mata puteh with my friend(i don't do this often once maybe twice a year atmost). The problem is sometimes we manage to caught up to 20 mata puteh in a trip. I really don't want to bring home all the mata puteh and then release them a week or two later after sexing them and maybe choose the best 2 or 3 out of the whole bunch.

Hi paichunlang
Wow... 20 birds per trip, that a good sign. Can bring me along -ah ... ( hee... ). Ok
as Quote :
identify mata puteh's sex just by its appearence? At that moment, look at the colour density espically on it breast ( front portion ) It should be more yellowish ( brighter colour ), manly look and head shape should'nt be small, high possible is MALE. but it is high RISK when on site choosing, suggest to bring 3 cages and split them. brighter colour density and less brighter colour density and released. Wow... look at the balance mata putehs in cage.U will be.... Try to put a marking espically the mata puteh comes alone and hopping near yr DENAK bird. Will be a GOOD one.
Infro above is at my best knowledge... munkin tersalah pula.
So all the best...
Happy Rearing
cstan

paichunlang
Flying Bird

Postby paichunlang » Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:17 am

hi cstan005,
Thanks For your info. I'll try it on my next trip (as soon as the time allows me :D ) and see how it turn out. No problem with me if u want to come along but i have to ask friend first because he's the real expert i just follow along :D .
I normally put a leg band every time i release a bird (plain aluminium leg band) so if anybody ever come across a bird with a leg band with the same discription its probably released by me. Heheheh female or none singing bird so better to release it back because no need to stress out that little fella all over again its not worth it.
SYAHRUL
GEORGETOWN , PENANG

Return to “Zosterops / Mata Puteh”