Conclusion? Hoarse voice?

I observe that many people like to keep this small bird for their beautiful song. Zosterops (Zosterops Palpebrosa) is normally called 'Mata Puteh" (white eye) in this region.
Middle Way
Hatchling

Conclusion? Hoarse voice?

Postby Middle Way » Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:14 am

Hi,

I think I can conclude that my puteh is having a "sore throat", I dunno the exact term for it, but quite certain because the voice had worsen every day, I am not going to give up the bird. So I am hoping that any kind soul here can share here the remedy if you happened to have sucessfully treat the bird.

Note that the bird is not coughing. Just very hoarse voice.

Thanks

hiyosilveraway
Flying Bird

Postby hiyosilveraway » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:31 am

Hi middle way,

Is your putih moulting? If it is then you have nothing to fear as I have come across some putehs exhibiting the symptoms you have just mentioned. Their voice turn hoarse but it should be fine once the moult is over. Give it plenty of fresh fruits and clean water. Be patient.

I hope this will allay some of your fears.

All the best.

tool
Talking Birds

Postby tool » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:45 am

Hi guys,

Someone once told me that you can get a water based med for hoarse throat in bird-shops in S'pore...The guy is currently using it once a week mix in the drinking water to keep his putehs voice loud & clear...im trying hard to remenber the name of the med but sorry guys i really forgot..But he told me that you can get it from 1 of the bird shop in Serangoon...He gets his there..This is the only med that he gives his putehs & they are all in top form...'or maybe he has some other secret remedy,i donno'..

It works like a soothing cough drop for humans..

Cheers

Middle Way
Hatchling

Postby Middle Way » Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:43 am

hiyosilveraway wrote:Hi middle way,

Is your putih moulting? If it is then you have nothing to fear as I have come across some putehs exhibiting the symptoms you have just mentioned. Their voice turn hoarse but it should be fine once the moult is over. Give it plenty of fresh fruits and clean water. Be patient.

I hope this will allay some of your fears.

All the best.

Hi Silver,

Thanks for your input.

If this is the case, hopefully it will get well soon. But yesterday I had got a medicine from Serangoon, the med name is Scatt, the folks there told me that this is actually use to cure hoarse voice with coughing, but my is just hoarse voice only. But since i had already got there, i had buy a bottle of it at $22.

regards

seed
Hatchling

Postby seed » Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:07 pm

bro Middle Way, kindly keep us update on the result and improvement of your Puteh... as mine is almost mute now... :cry:

flyinmysoup
Talking Birds

Postby flyinmysoup » Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:14 pm

As I have experienced, Scatt works great for coughs due to air sac mites. This is usually the case if the new bird is bought from a ladung, cramped with 50 or so other birds. Such mites tend to get spread pretty quick. It is recommended to use Scatt as a preventive measure when you buy new birds, especially from ladungs.

Hoarse voices may be due to other factors like not giving enough fruits while feeding 'heaty' dry food like Ah Har. Maybe you can try giving cooling fruits like 'kak kuay' and see how it works out. Not too much though. I heard that form may drop drastically if fed too much cooling fruits. Its all experimenting as each bird has its own needs and strange quirks. Thats what makes this hobby interesting I guess. Different folks, different strokes.
Edmund Lee (Singapore)

03 x Copsychus malabaricus
03 X Copsychus saularis
03 x Zosterops palpebrosus

Return to “Zosterops / Mata Puteh”