Using the nectar cup

I observe that many people like to keep this small bird for their beautiful song. Zosterops (Zosterops Palpebrosa) is normally called 'Mata Puteh" (white eye) in this region.
dance4rain
The Great Eagle

Using the nectar cup

Postby dance4rain » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:39 pm

It is a mystery how the nectar cup meant for the Puteh is supposedly used. At least for me it is. There is a bird keeper who tells me "no use one, for decoration only" :)
Well, after gathering a tip here and there, I finally decided how I will use it...

First melt some candle wax and pour into the cup to make it shallow and easier to maintain. I pour to the brim and later carve out a shallow concave cavity to house the drop of nectar. Ya ya... call me "kiam siap"

The above is the cup fully filled with wax. Careful when melting candle. Contact with naked flame will ignite it. First time doing it my pot goes up in flame :lol:

The below is the drop of liquid food. Nectar or honey should be the same. Undiluted... dilution with water makes them drink a lot and causes stool to be a watery mess.
Mine is a secret formula, passed down from sifu to student from generations to generations in utmost secrecy :lol:

Strength lies in differences, not similarities

Paul.R

Re: Using the nectar cup

Postby Paul.R » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:20 am

Great idea. I was in Hong Kong recently and I came across recently of that little tiny cup. I ask what the use of that cup shape like a pot. He didn’t answer me the first time that is fine. The next day I came by as hotel is quiet close. I sat there listening his bird singing and others. So I I said it’s beautiful day and if you don’t tell me I will be going home never knew what the jar use for the rest of my life like your bird sing if you don’t know what he is singing for.

He pause a long time and said angrily go home and started to laugh and smile. He said I like what you said and it’s meaning ful. “ A cup is a vessel that you put things into it; no matter what it is....but the purpose of what you put in very important for the bird. Chinese people had a displine Of a study nature and birds. We design that of few purpose. In a cage you must have food and water and also fun. “

That pot could be for little bamboo shoot stick hard into it with a few green bamboo leaves for bird to peck and remind them or symbolized nature as occasionally he would drop in rose lice for bird to eat.

Next nearly a decoration of beauty brought to us to admire as insect egg is place in. As it hatches it crawled out as with bird sharp eye it’s become its meal.

Finally the nectar a treat to all bird as a curse. To much nectar bird love it and not eat food or sing song. To little nectar bird would be at peace with it self. No song.
If given just right.... you will be rewarded each day like a kid with candy.

I stood up and thank him for a wonderful story I remember and share this silly story with you nice folks. Since lunch time approaches I got him a quick noodle meal close by.
Quality is always better than quantity.
Don't crack under pressure.

Paul.R

Postby Paul.R » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:21 am

Before I go... thank you for showing your set to us here. They are very lovely... have a good day.

dance4rain
The Great Eagle

Postby dance4rain » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:27 am

Here is one enjoying the drop of semi-solid food...
Strength lies in differences, not similarities

Paul.R

Postby Paul.R » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:46 am

Thank you for the photo again. A lovely bamboo cage and it’s whiteceye.

Return to “Zosterops / Mata Puteh”