Spotted Dove, Streptopelia chinensis in Hawaii

Discuss about spotted dove and dove issue here
flyinmysoup
Talking Birds

Spotted Dove, Streptopelia chinensis in Hawaii

Postby flyinmysoup » Thu May 07, 2009 4:34 am

Hi there fellow MBFers:

I made a trip to the islands of Hawaii – O’Ahu, Maui and Big Island sometime mid April and was pleasantly surprised to see many species of birds that are of interest to us in the wild.

Birds that I sighted were:

Common Waxbill, House Finch (Linnet), House Sparrow, Japanese White-Eye, Java Sparrow, Red Crested Cardinal, Red Vented Bulbul, Red Whiskered Bulbul, Rock Pigeon, Spotted Dove, Zebra Dove and the White Rumped Shama.

They are generally tame and I was able to capture some pictures of them. Please pardon my poor photography skills. I hope to share with you the sightings of avian wildlife that I had experienced while on my trip.

The pictures in this thread are relevant to the interest group of this category of birds. The rest of the pictures of other birds are found in the other threads relevant to the other groups of interest to that particular species of birds.

Enjoy!

A Spotted Dove, Streptopelia chinensis at Pearl Harbour, Honolulu

I noticed a few variations of the colors of this species in Hawaii. Some were darker than the others, some had no speckling on their backs.
Edmund Lee (Singapore)

03 x Copsychus malabaricus
03 X Copsychus saularis
03 x Zosterops palpebrosus

Irwan Fahmy
Location: Kangar, Perlis Indera Kayangan/Alor Setar, Kedah Darulaman

Re: Spotted Dove, Streptopelia chinensis in Hawaii

Postby Irwan Fahmy » Fri May 08, 2009 4:36 pm

They survive well... Introduced species to the island? :?

jessejames
Wise Owl

Postby jessejames » Sat May 09, 2009 12:21 pm

Hello Edmund,next time not only visual,visual and audio la bro....eh why no merbok?cos everytime i watch golf tournaments on tv ,if its held on one of the islands,you are bound to hear merbok singing in the background and its almost similar to our local specie ie no koong. Anyway nice of you to share the photos of the bird with us.
To Cikgu Irwan's query introduced onto the islands?the answer is yes a long time ago most probably by sailors from malacca....you know la malaccan cant stay still,must "merantau",so they jump onto any ships thats going away together with their pet birds and upon reaching the islands they somehow set their birds free...kah..kah..kah betul cikgu!
Regards,
jessejames.

Irwan Fahmy
Location: Kangar, Perlis Indera Kayangan/Alor Setar, Kedah Darulaman

Postby Irwan Fahmy » Sat May 09, 2009 1:20 pm

Hahahaha! :lol: I think must be accidentally escape from captivity.. Or they just wanna fulfilling their wish I suppose.. :)

flyinmysoup
Talking Birds

Postby flyinmysoup » Sat May 09, 2009 1:28 pm

jessejames wrote:Hello Edmund,next time not only visual,visual and audio la bro....eh why no merbok?cos everytime i watch golf tournaments on tv ,if its held on one of the islands,you are bound to hear merbok singing in the background and its almost similar to our local specie ie no koong. Anyway nice of you to share the photos of the bird with us.

Hello sir! Haha! Aiyah, only bring camera there, no handycam. Sorry to dissapoint.

Merboks got a lot! In the ketitir forum. Go take a look! :D
Edmund Lee (Singapore)

03 x Copsychus malabaricus
03 X Copsychus saularis
03 x Zosterops palpebrosus

jessejames
Wise Owl

Postby jessejames » Sat May 09, 2009 2:21 pm

flyinmysoup wrote:
jessejames wrote:Hello Edmund,next time not only visual,visual and audio la bro....eh why no merbok?cos everytime i watch golf tournaments on tv ,if its held on one of the islands,you are bound to hear merbok singing in the background and its almost similar to our local specie ie no koong. Anyway nice of you to share the photos of the bird with us.

Hello sir! Haha! Aiyah, only bring camera there, no handycam. Sorry to dissapoint.

Merboks got a lot! In the ketitir forum. Go take a look! :D

orait brudder,thanks.
Regards,
jessejames.

Return to “Spotted Dove”