Thick Billed Green Dove/Pigeon

Discuss about spotted dove and dove issue here
jessejames
Wise Owl

Re: Thick Billed Green Dove/Pigeon

Postby jessejames » Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:47 am

KEDAHmaju wrote:kalau nak best, jamu nasi skali skala pun xpa.. hahahaha :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:
kau nih JJ, sampai gandum pun kau bagi makan, kau buat bubur ka apa..?

Kau tak tau ke?puling(tnau),bayan bagi gandum kering.sama juga punai makan gandum gemok,lagi bagus kacang hijau,burung kukur aku sekali kala pun aku bagi gandum orait aje.

lancelot
Flying Bird

Postby lancelot » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:51 am

Hi Jessejames,
The kampong folks normally refer to the dove species locally as punai tanah (like those that feed on the ground species)and punai daun (those that feed among the tree tops,commonly reffered to as "fruit doves")I do believe this is because the English language is without a doubt more concise and have a name or word for almost everything...with due respect to Bahasa Malaysia.
Now the Thick Billed Dove is a fruit eater(basically figs) in the wild and so when in captivity,it is highly desirable that the diet closely resembles that of those in the wild environment.If on the other hand,you cannot get figs,the best alternative would be a combination of chopped up fresh fruits(like bananas,papayas,oranges,rockmelon,honey dew melon and also thawed out frozen corn kernels and peas.This diet works very well as I keep a couple of prs of Rose crowned fruit doves myself and they thrive very well.They may or may not eat the dry seeds I give to my emerald doves in the same aviary but to give them just dry seeds as their main diet does not help their well being on the long term,especially so if you intend to breed them.
ps.I am full aware that they are very common(as some forumers say)but the pleasure derived from breeding your own cannot be described.It is an achievement of your desires and discipline in wanting to bring forth something of your very own instead of always trapping the wild ones.
Have a good day.

jessejames
Wise Owl

Postby jessejames » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:44 am

Hi Lancelot,i'm not too sure about the name punai tanah,to us in the south punai tanah is limbok ie emerald green pigeon and punai daun is pink neck pigeon.Anyway back to this subject of thick billed pigeon,the pair that i kept and died is purely due to my neglect,i lnew i need to give them bbanana or papayas,but since i got a pair of pink neck inside the aviary,i thought they will somehow follow and eat the "gandum",but they dnt and died.Nowadays you can hardly find one in the wild not to mention laying your hands on one.Then bout my pink neck,they lay 1 egg and hatched i male,i separated the male and tied it to the kukur cage,(yes the one on my avatar ,)kept it for about 3 years or more and about a mth ago i released it.Oh btw,the parents never produced anymore after the first child.Know what happened,both the parents died on the same day about 2 weeks after i released the sole offspring,i saw both the birds dead on the floor of my aviary,foods and bananas ok,no sign of injuries or whatsoever.Kind of scary and sad come to think of it,so no more exotic pigeons for me,afterall i'm not much into breeding and they are afterall TP birds,not worth the risks.See you Lancelot ,take care and have a nice day.
Regards,
jessejames.

ospe03
Wise Owl

Postby ospe03 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:34 am

Awww... JJ... that is nice of you to let the little one go. They are such a pretty birds... and sometime rival few parrots. Pitty we can't legally keep them though..

I seen a flock of 6 (pink-necked) eating some 'buah gatal' near by. Manage to catch one.. but had to let it go 2 days after because if refuse to eat anything....

jessejames
Wise Owl

Postby jessejames » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:33 pm

ospe03 wrote:Awww... JJ... that is nice of you to let the little one go. They are such a pretty birds... and sometime rival few parrots. Pitty we can't legally keep them though..

I seen a flock of 6 (pink-necked) eating some 'buah gatal' near by. Manage to catch one.. but had to let it go 2 days after because if refuse to eat anything....

HI bro,buah gatal in the jungle is their favourite besides macarthur palm in the urban areas,sometimes you can find alot of them feeding on macarthur palms along jalan duta(in front of stadium hoki),pink neck will not know how to eat themselves if caught wild;you need to force feed them for a few days before it start to eat on its own.orait bro,see you ard.
Regards,
jessejames.

ospe03
Wise Owl

Postby ospe03 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:41 am

Well I dunno if the one I release still survived... She is quit strong when I let her go.. Because today I only see 4 punai near the favourite place.. They also eat lot of local cherry..... so I gather lot of cherry put it under the tree.. they never come down to eat it. Must be a true arborial bird..

Return to “Spotted Dove”