Breeding Ring Neck

Indian ringneck... the green guy... smart and handsome parakeet...
hks06
Weaning Bird

Re: Breeding Ring Neck

Postby hks06 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:35 pm

No experience breeding them but used 2 keep 1 tamed one as a pet. The good thing is that it is easy 2 identify the male & the female by looking at the black rings (or wihout) on their necks. Was offered one pair b4 by a bird shop owner but did not accept as I have no time. The pair do not seem to have the strong bond as other kinds of parrot. They prefer to mind their owm business.
Kah Sin

samuelfoo
Wise Owl

Postby samuelfoo » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:17 am

any fren here have experience?

Bayan
Talking Birds

Postby Bayan » Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:17 pm

samuelfoo wrote:any fren here have experience?

Try to call our fren Xavier 0162050182, he want to letgo his lutino breeding pair for 1.8k with licence.

samuelfoo
Wise Owl

Postby samuelfoo » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:43 am

thank brother bayan...

lancelot
Flying Bird

Postby lancelot » Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:48 am

Since not many members have come up with an answer,I thought I'd let my experience of breeding ringnecks help those who would need some sugestions.This is my very own experience of breeding them since early 2000.I do not keep the very expensive lacewing mutations or the two color types.But I breed straight greens,greys,blues,lutinos and albinos.I also have an olive pr.I house each pr to a suspended cage 1m/1m/2m about 4ft above ground so all the shit and mess drops down and less mantainence to the cages.Also it keeps the birds healthier without the mess.I use a wooden breeding box approx 10in/10in/18in high placed at the far end of the cage(but on the outside)with a small inspection hole/door of the box to check the young as they grow without disturbing the parent birds.At the botom of the box I normally just place some pinewood shavings(from petshops)and also sometimes the husks of the seeds which the birds have eaten.The birds consume more food when there are young in the box and you must never run short.I feed my birds a basic budgie mix at all times, a separate bowl of sunflower seeds(not too much)about half an orange,half an apple and even a slice of multi grain bread.This is on a daily basis.They must have freah fruits and vegetables in their diet daily.(Just like you and me o.k.Ha Ha)Ringneck can bring anything between three to five chicks but normally four will occur.Mine regularly gives four to a clutch but I have only had three sometimes in the past.By the way,they also love to chew on celery sticks and spinach.I suppose some people colony breed them in a large flight aviary,but ringnecks can be very aggressive in a smaller flight and a dominant cockbird will sometimes kill a lesser cock.They also need privacy when going to nest and mating so give them some cover on the sides of the cage to hide and do their thing.It works out better that way.The hen incubates for anything up to 28 days(in a cold place like mine)but you should see young before then.Don't always try to check the box because they may get distressed and abandon the young but after 10 days or so you may safely check the box when the hen is not sitting on the chicks.
Now I hope that this piece of information will help all those wanting to bred ring neck parrots.But will aomeone tell me why in this forum,I have not seen any one breeding Alexandrine parrots.They are larger than ringnecks and more beautiful to look at.I also breed them here in my yard and they are better able to train to talk than ring necks.(Of course,cannot beat African greys for talking abilities)

Irwan Fahmy
Location: Kangar, Perlis Indera Kayangan/Alor Setar, Kedah Darulaman

Postby Irwan Fahmy » Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:54 am

lancelot wrote: .......tell me why in this forum,I have not seen any one breeding Alexandrine parrots...

They are less Alexandrine in the country and at the same time those birds are really scarce in the market.. Havent seen 1 in the past 3 years due to freezing of birds' importation..

Return to “Ring neck Parakeet”