Breeding Ring Neck

Indian ringneck... the green guy... smart and handsome parakeet...
lancelot
Flying Bird

Re: Breeding Ring Neck

Postby lancelot » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:55 am

Thank you Irwan for letting me know why.That question was on my mind for very long time now but always forgoten to ask the members.But I am sure somewhere in the country there must be someone or somebody who has alexandrines in their collection.The reason I ask this again is because a cock alexandrine will readily mate with a hen ringneck and vice versa.That is how people are trying to get the color mutations into alexandrines here in Australia.I personally do not think that should be the way,but to wait for a self mutation in a species sometimes takes like forever,so we humans sometimes have to interfere with nature.It was just a thought I have been having for quite a while now.Because the people have been crossing the two species and creating hybrids,we now see some smaller sized alexes or even some ring necks looking a litle larger than normal.It takes a few generations and ten to fifteen years before a full normal size alex appears in blue or yellow mutation.But there are already available now on the bird scene here......but really expensive.

Irwan Fahmy
Location: Kangar, Perlis Indera Kayangan/Alor Setar, Kedah Darulaman

Postby Irwan Fahmy » Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:31 pm

Wow.. Its something new to see the colour morph and mutation of alex.. :D

When it comes to Hybrid, what about the offspring..? Will they become neuter? :?

lancelot
Flying Bird

Postby lancelot » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:04 pm

As far as I am aware,there are quite a few hybrids between alexandrines and ringnecks being sold among bird breeders as theyprogress towards getting alexandrines into color mutations of yellow and blue.As an example a cross hybrid betwen r/neck and alex first generation at 50/50 either wayor a second genaration 25/75 and on and on till one nearly pure lutino or blue alex is sometimes available,but rather pricey(top $$)Also because these two species are of the same family, they interbreed quite well in captivity and the progeny(future birds produced)still are fertile and can produce.In the wild state, of course these birds won't come together to hybridise, but you never know.One in a million maybe but their colors are mainly green in the wild that is.Also just to let you know,the ringneck parrot here in Australia has been cross bred with the princess parrot(an australian native)..but it ends there because the progeny is infertile.This is because it is two different species from two different families.(Luck this dont happen to human beings.this one joke only lah!ha ha .)

samuelfoo
Wise Owl

Postby samuelfoo » Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:41 am

bro....
thanks for the usefull info which i can refer to when breeding ring neck....
thanks alot...
:)

Return to “Ring neck Parakeet”