Baby cockatiel

The cockatiel (Nymphicus hollandicus), also known as the quarrion and the weiro, is a bird that is a member of the cockatoo family endemic to Australia. They are prized as household pets and companion parrots throughout the world and are relatively easy to breed
cstan005
Wise Owl

Re: Baby cockatiel

Postby cstan005 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:05 pm

studmuffin wrote:You are right about that , I,ve got a booklet on tiels and understand that the quality of offsprings n health of the mother wud be compromised. best to limit 2-3 clutches a year and enough rest in between. I think i will remove the nest box for a month or two.

They are fed lots of good stuff every week with fruits, vegetable, palm oil seed, pellet food, eggs etc. besides their regular seeds. I try not to spoil them with seeds. Complains from my wife that the bird seem to have better stuff than us at home :mrgreen:

Oh yes i think it,s not them as they r pretty occupied with the remaining tiel. and the have not been in the nest box. i,m beginning to suspect its the rosella,s.

Hi Studmuffin,
As long as the nestbox is not available, then the heat is not trigger on and tiels will not mate. Health of parent tiel is very important to bring up their off spring. Resting is good at least 3 months. Envy on your tiel to consume other foods, mine is on kuaci, celeary, seeds, wneat bread and cuttle fish bone, Rear them on fly cage,most important is clean water daily and droppings.
Aiya.. same here, time spent on them after office hours, from 6,45pm - 7.30pm, mah.. no need to eat lah.... but later no more complaint..
So how many pairs u have? For me 1 breading pair, 3 young tiel, just few month old, 1tiel from friend friends.
Any picture to share????? Thanks
Happy Rearing
cstan

studmuffin
Talking Birds

Re: Baby cockatiel

Postby studmuffin » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:51 am

Hi Cstan,

Same here 1 breeding pair and 3 young ones of which 2 have been sold. i,ve had time with the birds and have been experimenting with their food. work odd hours at times and normally 2-3 days of in a stretch. wife thinks i,m mad and should move in with the birds. :mrgreen: I will try to upload from my iPhone.

Thanks , Studmuffin.

Return to “Cockatiel”