Baby cockatiel

The cockatiel (Nymphicus hollandicus), also known as the quarrion and the weiro, is a bird that is a member of the cockatoo family endemic to Australia. They are prized as household pets and companion parrots throughout the world and are relatively easy to breed
studmuffin
Talking Birds

Baby cockatiel

Postby studmuffin » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:06 am

My pair of cockatiels have 3 new chicks. All 3 of the chicks are of different sizes due to different times of hatching. At the moment egg food being fed with fresh fruits and leafy veg.

Cheers studmuffin

cstan005
Wise Owl

Re: Baby cockatiel

Postby cstan005 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:44 am

studmuffin wrote:My pair of cockatiels have 3 new chicks. All 3 of the chicks are of different sizes due to different times of hatching. At the moment egg food being fed with fresh fruits and leafy veg.

Cheers studmuffin

Hi studmuffin,
congrats to the new born, any picture up load to share.Thanks
Happy Rearing
cstan

studmuffin
Talking Birds

Postby studmuffin » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:26 pm

Thank you, all 3 now are out of the nest box , since a few days ago. Named them large , medium and small since they all hatched at different days.
Age about 30 to 40 days old. By the time i get back from overseas they should be eating on their own. Before i left saw them munching on some greens,fruit and drinking water. Seeds maybe as i have not seen that yet.

Anyone interested, I,m selling all 3. will post pics by tomorrow hopefully.
Can anyone help on how to post pics from an iPhone.

Cheers Studmuffin

studmuffin
Talking Birds

Postby studmuffin » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:53 pm

Just sold 2 of the tiels, and the youngest remaining.

So this morning took out the nest box from the cage and cleaned it out and sun dried it. Was out the whole day and when we returned late this evening found an egg in the cage. So far no damage but i suspect the tiels at it again .

My wife put on the gloves and we set up the nest box again and in went the egg. Fingers crossed. We have have only seen the male go into the nest box.

More to come as the days go by. Stay tuned.

Cheers Studmuffin

cstan005
Wise Owl

Postby cstan005 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:26 am

studmuffin wrote:Just sold 2 of the tiels, and the youngest remaining.

So this morning took out the nest box from the cage and cleaned it out and sun dried it. Was out the whole day and when we returned late this evening found an egg in the cage. So far no damage but i suspect the tiels at it again .

My wife put on the gloves and we set up the nest box again and in went the egg. Fingers crossed. We have have only seen the male go into the nest box.

More to come as the days go by. Stay tuned.

Cheers Studmuffin

Hi Studmuffin
Ha,,, money coming in,, from yr sales of tiels, congrats...
Sorry, try not to breed too close which eventually both tiel parent have not fully recover in health after taking care of their siblings. Should rest them at least 2 - 3 months before breading again. Sorry no intention of disturd the breeding programe, just an pre caution of the parent tiel health. Thanks
Any picture of the baby tiel, do up load it for viewing,
Happy Rearing
cstan

studmuffin
Talking Birds

Postby studmuffin » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:40 pm

You are right about that , I,ve got a booklet on tiels and understand that the quality of offsprings n health of the mother wud be compromised. best to limit 2-3 clutches a year and enough rest in between. I think i will remove the nest box for a month or two.

They are fed lots of good stuff every week with fruits, vegetable, palm oil seed, pellet food, eggs etc. besides their regular seeds. I try not to spoil them with seeds. Complains from my wife that the bird seem to have better stuff than us at home :mrgreen:

Oh yes i think it,s not them as they r pretty occupied with the remaining tiel. and the have not been in the nest box. i,m beginning to suspect its the rosella,s.

Return to “Cockatiel”