Salam! Whozzat bird? ...Iora? Exciting Update!

Introduce yourself and your birds here.

This is the place where the other birds enthusiast able to know more about you. A good place to make more friend.

Moderator: Moderator

AccidentalPapaBird
Hatchling

Re: Salam! Whozzat bird? ...Iora?

Postby AccidentalPapaBird » Wed May 29, 2013 7:50 am

Bro Tanin,
Thanks for the assurance. will keep your pointers in mind and incorporate them into my 'rescue plan'.

Transition stages are my concern now. As of now it is still hand fed with no sign of 'intuitive hunting' for its food. ie. won't reachout and snatch cricket/worm being dangled 2-3 inches away. Until it is capable of it, it stay indoor. The next anticipated stage is, once it is able to seek/pursue/track the life worms & crickets, the iora will be placed in the outdoor cage.

When it has attained the full 'hunting instinct' I believe it will already be physically fully formed and fit for sustained full flight. But I do not know how far away this stage is. I do not intend to keep it caged too long and render it domesticated.

Anyhoo.... thanks for listening. Willl keep updating here as and when.

Cheers! & Mucho gracias!

MyRedLories
Hatchling

Postby MyRedLories » Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:03 pm

I love these bird rescue stories!! :goodpost:

Please let us updated about your new little friend :) I rescued a baby sparrow three months ago. She was released after one month but she still comes back every day to eat and play with me. She also thank me by perching on my head before flying off every evening. I've so many stories to tell. Some people say the animal is lucky that we saved it but I think I'm the lucky one to have met such a wonderful feathered friend!

AccidentalPapaBird
Hatchling

Postby AccidentalPapaBird » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:36 pm

MyRedLories,
I couldn't, for convenience, just leave the bird on the nearest bush. taking it in and aid it's growth is the best choice.
The pahala actually will go, to my maid who has been doing all the surrogate duty since we took it in. I only surf the net and make informed choices and actions for Kakak to execute :oops:

Update: Day 15.
Growth and 'normal' signs has been fast. Taken to fruits (mango, banana & grapes) since Sunday. Started to bath itself - dipping it's head and butt :lol: into small small container today. So, added a bigger dish as bathing pool. Appetite is voracious. Plenty mealworms and crickets.

Been out in the sun, cage half covered, for about an hour everyday 9-10am since Friday. Aim is to introduce it to its environment and hopefully can communicate and connect with other ioras in the vicinity before release. I'm very eager to see or detect other ioras flocking nearby when the bird is being sunned. It will give me much assurance to release the bird.

MyRedLories
Hatchling

Postby MyRedLories » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:58 am

Sounds like a fledgling - I would think they are quite similar to sparrows in terms of life stages so that would mean your bird is probably 4 weeks old. My guess is that it was rescued at 2 weeks old and began to fly at week 3. Does it make a lot of noise? For sparrows, the parents feed them until they are up to 5 to 6 weeks old. Do a soft release by keeping the cage there with some food, who knows, maybe it wouldn't want to leave just yet with all that tender loving care :)

AccidentalPapaBird
Hatchling

Postby AccidentalPapaBird » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:51 am

Talking about comfy living....

On the second day of intro of new bath bowl, something peculiar happened. (Birdie baths right after sunning. I presume it is to cool off.)

SImple exercise. Existing small drinking cup was removed and new bath bowl was placed in same corner of the cage. Birdie does not take it's bath. So, Kakak thought birdie don't want to bath and switch back the drinking cup. The moment the cup was placed, little birdie dunks itself like mermaid in the cup :rollinglough:
It'll still bath in the drinking cup even the bathbowl is placed adjacent to it.

It's funny, I know. But, is this a patter of 'settling in"?

AccidentalPapaBird
Hatchling

Postby AccidentalPapaBird » Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:00 am

MyRedLories wrote:Sounds like a fledgling - I would think they are quite similar to sparrows in terms of life stages so that would mean your bird is probably 4 weeks old. My guess is that it was rescued at 2 weeks old and began to fly at week 3. Does it make a lot of noise? For sparrows, the parents feed them until they are up to 5 to 6 weeks old. Do a soft release by keeping the cage there with some food, who knows, maybe it wouldn't want to leave just yet with all that tender loving care :)

MyRedLories,

The stages sounds about correct and similar to sparrows. I think I'm at the end week of parental feeding. It'll make noise when hungry and sings sometimes.
The soft release, with food, is a good idea. I think it is important to create a routine of sunning/outdoor period, cage placement and familiar food prior to soft release. May I pick your brain for this stage? how was your experience like?

Much thanks.

Return to “Introduce Your Flock”