Salam! Whozzat bird? ...Iora? Exciting Update!

Introduce yourself and your birds here.

This is the place where the other birds enthusiast able to know more about you. A good place to make more friend.

Moderator: Moderator

MyRedLories
Hatchling

Re: Salam! Whozzat bird? ...Iora?

Postby MyRedLories » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:37 am

AccidentalPapaBird wrote:Talking about comfy living....

On the second day of intro of new bath bowl, something peculiar happened. (Birdie baths right after sunning. I presume it is to cool off.)

SImple exercise. Existing small drinking cup was removed and new bath bowl was placed in same corner of the cage. Birdie does not take it's bath. So, Kakak thought birdie don't want to bath and switch back the drinking cup. The moment the cup was placed, little birdie dunks itself like mermaid in the cup :rollinglough:
It'll still bath in the drinking cup even the bathbowl is placed adjacent to it.

It's funny, I know. But, is this a patter of 'settling in"?

That is cute :lol: Same here, my sparrow only drinks and takes a bath from the same yogurt container lid it took its first sip of water. Now that she's older, she likes to take dust bath - rolling in dry dirt/sand.

MyRedLories
Hatchling

Postby MyRedLories » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:45 am

AccidentalPapaBird wrote:
MyRedLories wrote:Sounds like a fledgling - I would think they are quite similar to sparrows in terms of life stages so that would mean your bird is probably 4 weeks old. My guess is that it was rescued at 2 weeks old and began to fly at week 3. Does it make a lot of noise? For sparrows, the parents feed them until they are up to 5 to 6 weeks old. Do a soft release by keeping the cage there with some food, who knows, maybe it wouldn't want to leave just yet with all that tender loving care :)

MyRedLories,

The stages sounds about correct and similar to sparrows. I think I'm at the end week of parental feeding. It'll make noise when hungry and sings sometimes.
The soft release, with food, is a good idea. I think it is important to create a routine of sunning/outdoor period, cage placement and familiar food prior to soft release. May I pick your brain for this stage? how was your experience like?

Much thanks.

Glad I can share my experience AccidentalPapaBird :) I totally agree with you! The bird learns a lot about its surrounding during the outdoor period and that could become its favourite spot. Maybe it'll even bring friends back to visit some day. My sparrow accidentally flew away at 3 weeks old but she remembered all the places I took her to and waited for me at those spots. Is your bird eating on its own already? Take more pics now because when they get older, just you holding the camera will scare them away.

AccidentalPapaBird
Hatchling

Postby AccidentalPapaBird » Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:57 pm

Photos taken today.

http://s249.photobucket.com/user/red-c/ ... sort=3&o=0
http://s249.photobucket.com/user/red-c/ ... sort=3&o=3
http://s249.photobucket.com/user/red-c/ ... sort=3&o=2

I'm not seeing then black & white stripes on the wings. Maybe later?

Birdie is now snatching food from tweezer and no longer handfed.

MyRedLories,
Lucky sparrow of yours. You must have doted on it and spend much time with it, sampai boleh rondevouz macam girlfren :bravo .

MyRedLories
Hatchling

Postby MyRedLories » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:47 am

AccidentalPapaBird wrote:Photos taken today.

http://s249.photobucket.com/user/red-c/ ... sort=3&o=0
http://s249.photobucket.com/user/red-c/ ... sort=3&o=3
http://s249.photobucket.com/user/red-c/ ... sort=3&o=2

I'm not seeing then black & white stripes on the wings. Maybe later?

Birdie is now snatching food from tweezer and no longer handfed.

MyRedLories,
Lucky sparrow of yours. You must have doted on it and spend much time with it, sampai boleh rondevouz macam girlfren :bravo .

Looking good with those healthy and shiny feathers! The pic with it perching on your fingers is really nice :) You and your team did a great job! Eating on its own means it's becoming independent. My sparrow is part-time wild bird and part-time pet but I've to leave in a few days so I hope it will continue to come back even when I'm not around. I will miss the bird so much but at least I know I've tried my best. When your bird flies away, it's a strange feeling - proud and sad at the same time :( Enjoy your time with this little beauty.

AccidentalPapaBird
Hatchling

Postby AccidentalPapaBird » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:32 am

Update: Slow..... but steady progress.

The day before the haze, as Birdie was outside in it's cage, a few ioras (an adult and two smaller ones) were seen perched withing a foot and 'talking' to little Birdie. Other types of common garden birds were also seen near the cage. Mayb checking birdie out.

My 'plan' is materializing! My guess was correct. There are Ioras out there that may/can befriend and take Birdie and 'de-domesticate' it. Seeing this development, *I told Kakak to immediately open the cage door the moment she sees the Ioras again.* edit.

The next day, maybe becoz Kakak misunderstood me, she left the door open the moment she hung the cage, and didn't wait for the wild Ioras. What happened later was quite funny, I think. A bigger, brown garden bird went in the cage and perched beside Birdie. Could it be the food inside? Or, it wasn't funny at all because that bigger brown bird could have been a predator/carnivore and ate Birdie!

The past few days Birdie was kept indoors - it was 'no attempt' days caused by the haze.

Since it rained yesterday evening and the sky has cleared considerably, today Project Freedom continues!
Cage was left open upon hanging at the usual outdoor place, again. Later, Birdie's wild friends came. Then Birdie came out of the cage by itself and flew away with them. But...... came back 3 hours later visibly tired, hunched over as it perched. It was observed 'hanging out' (with it's newfoud 'gang') in the vicinity hopping, perching, flying in and out of trees within a radius of about 10metres from its cage. She has since been taken in and recuperating. Very famished too.

Will continue again tomorrow and told Kakak to leave the cage as in the same place and keep fruits and mealworms fresh daily for the next 2 weeks. Hopefully it will be able to hunt its own food and dependency on 'home food' will diminish.

MyRedLories,
Might just turn out to be like your sparrow. Half -jinak, and comes by regularly for snacks :)

AccidentalPapaBird
Hatchling

Re: Salam! Whozzat bird? ...Iora? Exciting Update!

Postby AccidentalPapaBird » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:17 am

There was another, prior, event that showed either Birdie's inability or reluctance to venture out.

After a week's routine outdoor sunning period, we decided to take her out of the cage and place her on top of the cage and hoped she would 'just simply' fly away. Well, Birdie just wouldn't do anything other than perched on the pagar that was about four feet away from her hanging cage :lol: Pagar macam invisible wall :roll:

The transition phase is more complicated than we thought :)

Return to “Introduce Your Flock”