Salam! Whozzat bird? ...Iora? Exciting Update!

Introduce yourself and your birds here.

This is the place where the other birds enthusiast able to know more about you. A good place to make more friend.

Moderator: Moderator

AccidentalPapaBird
Hatchling

Salam! Whozzat bird? ...Iora? Exciting Update!

Postby AccidentalPapaBird » Sun May 19, 2013 3:29 pm

Greetings everyone!

As you may deduce from my nick, accidentally entrusted the duty of a "Papa" bird this Friday when my daughter found a small bird by the roadside, on her way back from school. The thought of just leaving it on the nearest 'convenient' branch is out of the question as it will fall prey to cats and others. Keeping it is also a risk because we are inexperienced, but at least survival rate can be increased.

Thus, I turn to this forum for further guidance.

Based on general info gleaned on the net, I have been feeding and keeping an eye on its health.

Update and current status:
Three days since taken in.

Eating:
Eating approx 4-6 life breadworms (brown colour, from pet shop) every hour or so during the day. Tidur at nite.
Also giving boiled egg and infant kitten food. Ratio of 1:3 worms alternatively.

Poop:
Based on pix from the net. The white to black ration is now 50:50 and less watery. Two days ago was 20:50.

Activity:
Can perch on edge of it's temporary nest. Can scuttle around and find cover inside the newspaper cuttings w use as 'alas' (please refer to pixs)

Now, can anyone help me ID our new friend :)

Also, can anyone kindly share ideas, direction as to how shall I proceed from hereon?

Much thanks!
- Reduan, KL.

http://s249.photobucket.com/user/red-c/ ... sort=3&o=3
http://s249.photobucket.com/user/red-c/ ... sort=3&o=2
http://s249.photobucket.com/user/red-c/ ... sort=3&o=1
http://s249.photobucket.com/user/red-c/ ... sort=3&o=0
Last edited by AccidentalPapaBird on Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

Tanin
Site Admin

Re: Salam! Whozzat bird? ...Iora?

Postby Tanin » Sun May 19, 2013 11:14 pm

indeed it look very much like iora....

for the care, instead of 'cat food', why dont change it to the bird food pallets? the one for 'bulbul' should work fine for this little guy. my 2cents :)
Best Regards,
Tanin

Now you can share any posting that you like to FBook!

For more more detail on how to share, please visit:
viewtopic.php?f=54&t=11885

AccidentalPapaBird
Hatchling

Postby AccidentalPapaBird » Mon May 20, 2013 2:01 am

Hi Tanin,

Thanks for the catfood alternative. Will check Bulbul feed at nearby petshop.
I'm in the opinion that this bird will now take to adult food with ease. Can I add crickets now? What other high protein feed can I introduce?

I'm quite thankful that the bird is growing healthily. Our last orphanage care was very young kitten just months ago. It was so fragile that we were not successful in keeping it alive even with the help of vet visits.

I dont seem to see any Iora sub-forums. What is the best/nearest that I should visit now, for more info/guidance on the birs's care? Bulbul? Merbok? Murai?

Cheers!

Tanin
Site Admin

Postby Tanin » Tue May 21, 2013 2:02 pm

You are most welcome AccidentalPapaBird...

that is just my 2 cent...

for the 'livefood', I think the mealworm is better than cricket...

from what you share, I am sure the bird will be healthy and have good chances to be back to wild in your good hand...not to worries.

btw, Iora should be under leaf birds....but there are no discussion about it... well, this is "totally protected species"... intentionally maybe not many that will keep it...let alone to discuss it in public :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Best Regards,
Tanin

AccidentalPapaBird
Hatchling

Postby AccidentalPapaBird » Thu May 23, 2013 2:10 am

Tanin,
Thanks for the heads up. I shan't worry about the authority. The bird might just succesfully escape and fly out ouf my house tomorrow. KnoWhatImean? :wink: Though, any help from anyone via Private Message willl be very much appreciated. I won't hold him/them accountable if the worst happens.

Update:
Day 7
Two days ago, introduced two small crickets to its diet. Yesterday evening's poop looks good(?) - watery unrine with thin, black, worm-like solid.
It has began to fly!
I have transferred it into a bigger cage (1ft x 1ft x8in) temporarily. Previously it was a sandwich of two generic rectangular plastic fruit basket.
It is very actively trying to escape it's new 'home'. Poor thing :(
The next step is to transfer it to the abandoned old chicken coop, 4ft x3ft by3ft, behind the house to acclimatize before release.
I have the intention of releasing it back into the wild. My housing area is a lush, matured taman with big acacia and angsana coupled with variety of wild fruit/fruit bushes/brushes growing on empty public land lining our roads . Not to mention fruit trees of all sorts in gardens. I'm the least worried with ample food supply.

Question to fellow forumers;
Will KL Birdpark be able to take it in? I used to rehab wounded kittens from my neighbourhood before sending them to RSPCA in Subang, back in the 90's. The critters were taken in, with a fee of course.

Cheers!

Tanin
Site Admin

Postby Tanin » Mon May 27, 2013 3:15 am

AccidentalPapaBird wrote:Tanin,
Thanks for the heads up. I shan't worry about the authority. The bird might just succesfully escape and fly out ouf my house tomorrow. KnoWhatImean? :wink: Though, any help from anyone via Private Message willl be very much appreciated. I won't hold him/them accountable if the worst happens.

Update:
Day 7
Two days ago, introduced two small crickets to its diet. Yesterday evening's poop looks good(?) - watery unrine with thin, black, worm-like solid.
It has began to fly!
I have transferred it into a bigger cage (1ft x 1ft x8in) temporarily. Previously it was a sandwich of two generic rectangular plastic fruit basket.
It is very actively trying to escape it's new 'home'. Poor thing :(
The next step is to transfer it to the abandoned old chicken coop, 4ft x3ft by3ft, behind the house to acclimatize before release.
I have the intention of releasing it back into the wild. My housing area is a lush, matured taman with big acacia and angsana coupled with variety of wild fruit/fruit bushes/brushes growing on empty public land lining our roads . Not to mention fruit trees of all sorts in gardens. I'm the least worried with ample food supply.

Question to fellow forumers;
Will KL Birdpark be able to take it in? I used to rehab wounded kittens from my neighbourhood before sending them to RSPCA in Subang, back in the 90's. The critters were taken in, with a fee of course.

Cheers!

Hi Bro,

In my personal opinion, the best bet is still releasing it to the wild (around your house) provided there are not many active stray cats.

While you may try to send him to KL bird park... I just worried that Iora is not 'significant' enough for them to take care of them as good as yours... not to mention the difficulties...if they have to go through all the documentation process to keep it (if they do want to do it legally)...

Based on what you share, with that kind of environment, the iora will have a good chances to survive and live a happy life around your area. I observe that they will do very well if there are lots of lifefood... other than the fruits..

The most important things now is that; you have to make sure that you only release him once he is strong enought and can fly well. if you keep him in the big cage for long time before releasing it; after you release him, you can still hang some fruits nearby the cage, just in case he have some difficulties to find new food source for the first few days.

Best of luck.
Best Regards,
Tanin

Return to “Introduce Your Flock”