NEW ZEALAND'S KAKARIKI PARROT

If you come across a rare and exotics parrots or some species that you never encounter or know much about it. Discuss it here. Once there are lots of discussion about the detail of the species, I will create a seperate forum for it.
lancelot
Flying Bird

Re: NEW ZEALAND'S KAKARIKI PARROT

Postby lancelot » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:53 am

The information given by Azman 66 is really excellent.Those parrots are a New Zealand native species but are found in most aviaries and bird breeders collection across the globe.Here in Australia it is very widely kept and bred and there are many color mutations of the species.The bourke parakeet however is an Australian native species of grass parakeet,again widely kept and bred among breeders.Again many color mutations have been bred and the parakeet itself has a very good whistle.The kakariki however, makes an excellent pet bird if it was hand reared from an early age,say about two weeks old.The bird has got a few good calls and tunes too.

ZHT
Weaning Bird

Postby ZHT » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:47 am

I remembered reading on our local newspaper about them. They are very destructive that they damaged one of the bird sanctuary's in New Zealand and very smart too.

azman66
Wise Owl

Postby azman66 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:06 am

ZHT wrote:I remembered reading on our local newspaper about them. They are very destructive that they damaged one of the bird sanctuary's in New Zealand and very smart too.

The one that is destructive is the KEA parrots not Kakariki :wink:
Attachments
kea1.jpg
destructive kea parrots
kea1.jpg (4.18 KiB) Viewed 983 times
kea.jpg
kea parrots
kea.jpg (3.31 KiB) Viewed 983 times

haze
Hatchling

Postby haze » Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:25 pm

Here is a picture of my kakarikis. Apologies for picture quality, the better ones were too big to attach.
Attachments
flock 032.jpg
my kakariki
flock 032.jpg (12.68 KiB) Viewed 769 times

Irwan Fahmy
Location: Kangar, Perlis Indera Kayangan/Alor Setar, Kedah Darulaman

Postby Irwan Fahmy » Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:43 pm

Nice and beautiful karakiris.. Really a rare speciment in the country.. :shock:
Thanks haze for sharing with us and congratulations to you on having the precious species in your life.. :D
Do share with us more and you may use image hosting such as www.postimage.org on uploading more bigger files.. :wink:

azman66
Wise Owl

Postby azman66 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:05 am

Irwan Fahmy wrote:Nice and beautiful karakiris.. Really a rare speciment in the country.. :shock:
Thanks haze for sharing with us and congratulations to you on having the precious species in your life.. :D
Do share with us more and you may use image hosting such as http://www.postimage.org on uploading more bigger files.. :wink:

Thanks Haze for sharing with us. The karakiri is very rare in Malaysia. Maybe not hardy enough for our warm and humid weather.

Return to “Rare and Exotic Parrots”