Do i need to trim/clip wings

The budgerigar (Melopsittacus undulatus) /ˈbʌdʒərᵻɡɑːr/, also known as the common pet parakeet or shell parakeet and informally nicknamed the budgie, is a small, long-tailed, seed-eating parrot. Budgerigars are the only species in the Australian genus Melopsittacus and are found wild throughout the drier parts of Australia where the species has survived harsh inland conditions for the last five million years.
Casper
Egg

Postby Casper » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:54 am

Do i need to trim/clip my budgies wings ?

Tanin
Site Admin

Re: Do i need to trim/clip wings

Postby Tanin » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:37 pm

Hi Casper,

I think it depend on your situation... if the bird is still not used to the environment, clipping the wings can prevent it from sudden flight which might injured itself.

however, if the bird were housed in a large avairy, clip wings will do more harm than good
Best Regards,
Tanin

Now you can share any posting that you like to FBook!

For more more detail on how to share, please visit:
viewtopic.php?f=54&t=11885

Petbirdy
Wise Owl

Postby Petbirdy » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:37 am

Hello Casper

Never clip your budgie’s wings. Never, remember. Birds are meant to fly and not to handicap the bird’s flight. Beauty is in the flight.

Training Budgies to trust you must practise the entertainment method like I do.

While the budgies are inside the cage, you can entertain the birds by a few methods used by me.

Use an A4 size paper. With your fingers holding the paper to hide your face, lower the paper to reveal your face. You can say anything you like at this juncture. Hello Birdy ... Good morning..
Good afternoon ...whatever you want to say. Repeat as many times as possible to entertain the budgies.

Do funny faces while the budgies are watching you inside the cage. Best do this funny faces with your left thumb touching your left cheek and your right thumb touching your right cheek. Fan the hand as you do funny faces.

Clap your hands, snap two of your fingers with a snapping sound,
Stick out your tongue in and out of your mouth.

Get the budgies familiar with your voice and your entertainment.
Then proceed with the videos I show in many threads I posted in this forum.

Paul.R

Postby Paul.R » Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:10 am

Here is a good advice. It’s concern of losing birds. This are one of my early love. They are very smart bird. Most of time they try to climb with the beak and by treating the with care and gentleness they come to you. They love human interaction and talking to.

If you have decide to trim or clip no one is going to stop you but before you to go on doing that; please do me a favour try putting a pebble into your shoe and wear it go to town for a shopping for a afternoon. That how the bird feel.
Quality is always better than quantity.
Don't crack under pressure.

Casper
Egg

Postby Casper » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:02 am

Thanks lot guys for advises and sorry for the late reply. Now i can hand feed them :) but male one is little bit difficult to handle than female one. Will post some pictures of them later..

Petbirdy
Wise Owl

Postby Petbirdy » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:13 am

Casper wrote:Thanks lot guys for advises and sorry for the late reply. Now i can hand feed them :) but male one is little bit difficult to handle than female one. Will post some pictures of them later..

Hello Casper

Usually, males are more outgoing and easier to tame than females. For one, males don't bite harder than females.
Is there any mistaken identity on your part ?

Please also let us know how did the entertainment method went for you ?

Thanks

Return to “Budgerigar”