How to produce violet color budgie.

The budgerigar (Melopsittacus undulatus) /ˈbʌdʒərᵻɡɑːr/, also known as the common pet parakeet or shell parakeet and informally nicknamed the budgie, is a small, long-tailed, seed-eating parrot. Budgerigars are the only species in the Australian genus Melopsittacus and are found wild throughout the drier parts of Australia where the species has survived harsh inland conditions for the last five million years.
Rizu
Weaning Bird

Postby Rizu » Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:28 pm

I know this subject maybe quite complex because involving gene. I'm trying to search online however the information is so overwhelming and i can't digest them. Hehe... So back to topic, how to obtains violet budgie. What pair I should place? (Ex. Sky blue x cobalt blue). Anyone here had produce violet variety in theirs collection. Really appreciate if anyone could share the knowledge.
Even the smallest person can change the course of the world.

Petbirdy
Wise Owl

Postby Petbirdy » Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:21 am

Hello Rizu

Violet is not a gene. It is a colour added in the budgies' normal blue and green genes. This means if you could not see violet
visually in the budgie, no purple colour is present in the said bird.

The best violet budgie is in the cobalt gene to be seen perfectly. Violet could be single factor (less purple to be seen visually)
or double factor (more pronounced purple to be seen visually).

Green series budgies are difficult to see violet in them. Blue series budgies are best genes to see violet visually.

Cobalt x Cobalt = 25% Mauve + 50% Cobalt + 25% Skyblue (Choose pair with violet present in the hen and cock)

Cobalt x Skyblue = 50% Cobalt + 50% Skyblue (Choose pair with violet present in the hen and cock)

Rizu
Weaning Bird

Re: How to produce violet color budgie.

Postby Rizu » Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:53 am

owh...thanks @Petbirdy. its really help me a lot to understand the colour concept in budgies. i hope i able to get violet someday. Cheerios!
Even the smallest person can change the course of the world.

JasonBirds
Weaning Bird

Postby JasonBirds » Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:13 am

I have one violet pied hen... and I lost my BEAUTIFUL self violet male budgie to a hawk killing it through the bars of the aviary!!!

He was so precious to me.. very bright and perfect colour!!! I have been looking to buy another violet male.. but its now over 5 months and none of the pet shops have any violets!!!

So I am not going to pair up the violet pied hen to my cobalt blue male...

Is that the best pairing to get some visual violet chicks? Or am I better to use a sky blue male?

Petbirdy
Wise Owl

Postby Petbirdy » Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:12 am

Hello

Cobalt male with your violet pied hen should give 50% visual violet chicks. Skyblue make with your violet pied hen also give 50% visual violet chicks but less cobalt violet chicks which show the violet color prominently.
So choose cobalt male for your pairing.[/img]

Tanin
Site Admin

Postby Tanin » Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:17 am

:) :) :) :goodpost:
Best Regards,
Tanin

Now you can share any posting that you like to FBook!

For more more detail on how to share, please visit:
viewtopic.php?f=54&t=11885

Return to “Budgerigar”