breeders

A cockatoo is a parrot that is any of the 21 species belonging to the bird family Cacatuidae, the only family in the superfamily Cacatuoidea. Along with the Psittacoidea (true parrots) and the Strigopoidea (large New Zealand parrots), they make up the order Psittaciformes (parrots). The family has a mainly Australasian distribution, ranging from the Philippines and the eastern Indonesian islands of Wallacea to New Guinea, the Solomon Islands and Australia.
kalyanamo
Egg

breeders

Postby kalyanamo » Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:08 am

hello everyone,

im new to this forum and am an avid bird lover. I have grown interest in the cockatoo breed and am gathering as much information as possible before getting one. any information and advise would be greatly appreciated.

i would also like to get some contacts for cockatoo breeders in malaysia. some how, buying a bird from a petshop seems wrong as it only encourages the shop owners to place the birds in unsatisfactory conditions. also, the birds always look abit sick
neways, thank u and i think this is a great website for bird lovers
regards
mo

Tanin
Site Admin

Postby Tanin » Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:55 am

Hi kalyamano,

First of all. I would like to welcome you to the forum. Glad to have another cockatoos enthusiast joining the forum.

For cockatoos, most species that are avaiable in Malaysia is the medium sulphur crested and Umbrella cockatoos. Few other species like greater sulphur, lesser sulphur, citrons and ducorps sometimes avaiabel but not many (and most of them is not avaiable in the pet shop)...

For the breeder, I think actually not many that breed cockatoos in Malaysia, but you can check out the breeder list in the breeder section. Some of them breed cockatoos, but I am not sure about the price or the bird avaiability.

Your dicision to study about them before buying them is a good moved. it will help you to make it easier for you as well as for the toos itself. Here in the forum, there are many that keep cockatoos, do post the question and I trust that some of the member will able to advice...

Best of luck for your search and hope you enjoy your stay.
Best Regards,
Tanin

Now you can share any posting that you like to FBook!

For more more detail on how to share, please visit:
viewtopic.php?f=54&t=11885

Irwan Fahmy
Location: Kangar, Perlis Indera Kayangan/Alor Setar, Kedah Darulaman

Re: breeders

Postby Irwan Fahmy » Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:06 am

kalyanamo wrote:hello everyone,

im new to this forum and am an avid bird lover. I have grown interest in the cockatoo breed and am gathering as much information as possible before getting one. any information and advise would be greatly appreciated.

i would also like to get some contacts for cockatoo breeders in malaysia. some how, buying a bird from a petshop seems wrong as it only encourages the shop owners to place the birds in unsatisfactory conditions. also, the birds always look abit sick
neways, thank u and i think this is a great website for bird lovers
regards
mo

Hi kalyanamo, welcome to the forum. Nice to know another Cockatoo enthusiast here! :)
Its a good thing to hear u r now interested on breeding cockatoo, well done!
There are some things to take into consideration when u decided to breed the toos. 1st of all, u must have the space for breeding them. An aviary with 7ft x 4ft will do. Then, u have to select which species do u prefer to breed. Toos can breed well but bear in mind that they are not the easiest species to breed successfully. U have to find a well, established, healthy and proven pairs in adding into ur breeding project. The long lifespan of toos means that once u have established a compatible pair, you may well be rewarded with chicks over a period of many years. Make the aviary permanent at specific area, quiet, solitary, secluded and especially less disturbance to the pair. If the birds are moved, it may take some time for them to settle in new surrounding and a change of nestbox do halt the process to nest. Do have in ur mind that some pairs, especially the male, tends to be agressive towards the female. Better take precautions on dealing with this matter. However, if u have/had kept any species of cockatoo previously, u may have the advantage here to be the breeder here. Its w worth here breeding the birds, as the peak of adhering ur hobby to a wonderful experience that everyone cannot get. Good Luck! :D

Return to “Cockatoos”